Saturday morning we took the 5 minute drive to a tree farm down the road. We discovered them last year and feel like we hit gold. They have beautiful nobles. They are not expensive. It isn't too big. AND, they cut down the tree for you! Perfect!
Our tree was the first one we saw. I, however, had to go look at every other tree to make sure that THIS tree was THE one. Of course it was. Why even question Cory.
I love our tree. It is colorful. It is eclectic. There is nothing fancy about it. There are ornaments on there from when I was a baby. My parents have given me an ornament every year of my life and they are all on that tree. There's 31. Cory has received an ornament every year that we have been together. That's 15 more. My kids have all received ornaments every year of their lives. 13, 7, 5, 3, and 2. Each and every ornament is on that tree. Some years 2 have even been given. Our tree is full. Our tree is beautiful. It holds so many memories.
I love that there is meaning behind our tree. I love that I can remember many of the reasons why I received an ornament. Some are cheesy. Some a little scary. We have funny ones. Sentimental ones. Ones that make me cry.
A cross for 2007. Given to us for our faith.
A bible for 2008. For how we've clung to the Lord.
A girl talking on the phone from my middle school years. For when I used to talk on the phone. A LOT... Cory laughed when I said that. USED TO? Funny man.
I was born 6 weeks early. I was little. My parents called me mouse. I have LOTS of mousy ornaments... One that even looks like a rat. I'll spare the picture.
We've got butterflies and motorcycles. Fire engines and elephants. Bananas and cigars. Pooh and Eeyore. Noah's ark and Curious George.
I love every ornament and the memory it holds. It's like a beautiful photo album that I get to look through every year at Christmas.
Saturday night we watched "The Nativity" with the kids. And while I think they might have been a little young for it, Cory was sure to pause and explain things throughout the movie. I've heard the story of Jesus's birth since childhood and yet, seeing it on the screen, brought a whole different understanding. In our world of having so much, it's so hard to imagine a life of so little. Birthing a child in a barn. Traveling on a donkey at 9 months pregnant. Then again, right after the birth. Hiding from soldiers. Carrying God's son.
There was a point in the movie where Mary and Joseph were talking about Jesus. Mary asks Joseph how they will know when he is more than just a child. Will he say something. Will it be a look. Joseph replies by wondering if he'll even be able to teach him anything... can you imagine? I love the illustration. The idea that he might come out with all knowledge. Would he even need them? As we all have our own children, we often wonder just how we'll teach them all they need to know. Here, they had a child, that they knew was God's son. I cannot imagine the pressure they might have felt...
Sunday morning brought wintry weather. Cold. Wintry. Weather. A little snow. A sheet of ice. Brrrrr. We even lost power for about an hour. We decided to bundle the kids up and take a walk. We were all getting a bit crazy and thought some fresh air might do the trick. All were excited, except, of course, Caden. Who knew.
We walked. Made snow angels. Got nice and cold. Came home. Had some cocoa. And enjoyed the rest of our wonderfully wintry weekend.
3 comments:
Gorgeous tree. Gorgeous family.
We have snow right now, too. It's not my favorite since I don't live close to work and have to drive in this stuff, but it is pretty to look at. =)
Our family tree looked like that when I was a kid, but we don't have that many ornaments yet and I am always hesitant to buy more. You motivated a new spirit in me to go for it!
Thanks. And good luck in this weather. we went for a walk today, and froze our noses. :-0
ahhhh....so many things. i love the little mouse ornament! sofie was 6 weeks early...and a little tiny mouse! ahhhh. ok, and the fam shots of the hats and all. soooo cute!!!!
Post a Comment