I'm waiting for the collective gasp. The looks. The stares. The whispers. I did something that many just won't understand... but maybe. Just maybe. Others might know what I'm talking about. Maybe they'll do it too.
I broke up with Facebook. Yep. You read it correctly. I broke up with Facebook. It really wasn't difficult... although they really fought for me. I just had to put my foot down. Say enough is enough. Cut the tie.
I laughed as I said goodbye. I had to choose a reason for leaving. My choice? I don't find it useful. Their response? Find more friends. Download more things. Really? So, then I decided to see what would happen if I clicked, "spend too much time on Facebook." The response? Don't get the notification emails. But really, they didn't have my reason...
I signed up for Facebook because I got an invitation from a friend. Of course I wanted to be her friend. She was my friend. I gave them all my info and was amazed at how quickly I started hearing from people I hadn't heard from in years. College roommates. High school friends. There were games. It was fun. Then I just got overwhelmed.
How do you even start to keep in touch? And really? I was getting friend requests from people who I didn't really even know. People I went to high school with that, let's face it, I don't really think they were wanting to get back in touch...
I wasn't one to make many friend requests. I didn't want to assume someone wanted to be "my friend". I didn't want to make them feel awkward if they wanted to say, "no". But, by the time we broke up, I was a little amazed. There were many people that had "found" me that I would love to keep in touch with and others that, as I said, I'm not sure why they asked to be my friend in the first place.
As overwhelming as it was to me, that wasn't the reason I left either. I left because I'm insecure. Always have been. Probably always will be. I left because I started feeling like I was in high school again... pretty much the most insecure I've ever been. Not pretty enough. Not liked enough. A wall flower. Unable to measure up.
I sat wondering why so and so didn't write ME a message. What's wrong with me? Why can't I get up and go work out like this person? Why can't I go on outings with my kids like that person? Why can't I clean my house as much? Satan was loving every second.
It's ridiculous really. I know. I know. I know too, that I can't allow the enemy to pick on me like that. It's even started to flow over into blogging. The one thing that I have loved doing. The one thing that I've been able to keep safe. Not caring how many comments or who comments. Writing my thoughts has truly been therapeutic. But, oh how that darn insecurity has been flowing over.
I've started caring. Wondering why I don't get comments. Wondering if people think my thoughts are dumb... am I dumb? I see how many come take a peek. Way more than I ever thought... If they liked me they'd comment. I've started comparing other people's comments to mine. Other people's followers to mine. I even lost a follower. Which causes me to wonder. What did I say? Did I offend? Or am I just downright boring? I wonder what makes people come back. Why do they keep reading?
It's all ridiculous. I know that I truly don't care. That my blog was not created to boost my ego. My blog is not about wanting people to like me. Or even approve. My blog IS about my thoughts. My struggles. My joys. My blog IS about my walk with God. My blog is a way for me to get my thoughts out. To see God in all of it. I pray that my blog blesses others. I pray that my struggles bless others. I pray that it's not all for nothing...
I have a friend. She's been my friend for a few years now. But, just recently we started getting to know each other better. She has had struggles. Struggles that I'm dealing with now. Her walk has blessed my life. She has mentored me. She has said how thankful she is that her years of struggle could bless me. That they would not be wasted. I am so thankful for her. Thankful that she's been there, done that. Thankful that I'm not alone on this journey. I KNOW I have God, but it's nice to have a friend too!
That's what I hope for my blog. That it could touch others. That God would be glorified through my every day. When I start feeling insecure. When I make my blog about me and my needs, I'm doing exactly what I don't want...
So, I did it. I broke up with Facebook. I don't regret it. I enjoy it really. It's been freeing. I can feel Satan getting pushed far from me. He isn't able to get me. I feel free. It's beautiful! Praise the Lord!
14 comments:
Good for you, girlfriend! I joined Facebook too. I mainly did it to see if I could get connected with some old girl friends from high school. I have been invited several time to join classmates from people, but I'm just too cheap. I was hoping that these ole girlfriends would get smart and join facebook for free.
Personally I think Facebook is shallow and impersonal. And it gives out too much information. Who needs to know that such and such is my friend. Who needs to know that I changed my status. I'm gong to keep my name on it in hopes to connect with a few my high school classmates that I often still think of; unfortunately, they have not discovered (or may they have) this tool yet.
I love your blog. I love how you give God the glory for everything, how authentic you are. Unfortunately, I only have so much computer time each day. So there are days when I have to decide to either post or comment. I've been a little "addicted" lately though but need to cut back again.
You are loved. You are adored. Keep pressing on and enjoy the fact that you are journaling your way through raising five amazing kids.
Hugs & Kisses, Dee
I'm glad you are happy with your decision. That is exactly why I have not signed on with Facebook. I already spend too much time blogging as it is!
I say you do whatever you feel is right for you! Team Mere! LOL!
Thanks for you words & prayers friend! I can't ever tell you how much it means to have you in my corner! Thanks!
Glad you were able to make a decision that is going to help you rather than harm you in the long run.
I'm on Facebook, but I'm rarely *on* facebook, ya know? All those things to download? Yeah, I have well over a hundred right now that I have no desire to play around with. lol
You and your blog TOTALLY bless me! That's why I keep coming back. I love hearing your thoughts and perspective on different things and I love to hear about your walk with Jesus and you and a few other Christian bloggers have definitely been helping me make my walk better. So, thank you for that. =)
Congratulations on your freedom!! Satan is so tricky! It's so great that you are able to recognize where he tries to weasel his way into your thoughts.
I am glad you have found freedom from something that was consuming you. I am proud of you.
This was a great post.
Good post. I have been feeling the pressure lately too, just to maintain it all...or not to. I feel like I'm stinking at connecting with people in person...especially my own boys in my own house, so I"ve been cutting back.
Ironically...I was trying to include you on something I posted, and I couldn't find you! You had disappeared from my friends. I thought...what the heck? We were friends, or was it just a dream? :)
Glad you're free. I miss you. Love..E
I wish that all I had to do was disconnect with Facebook to push Satan away from me! Thanks for your encouragement today. God knew what I needed to hear and He used you to tell me. Thanks for letting Him use you and thanks for your prayers. I'm working on giving it over to Him...
good for you! none of us need more pressure or anything else to make us feel bad about ourselves! it's amazing how the enemy will use what ever he can! I love your honesty!! you inspire me, encourage me, I am blessed to call you friend.
love you!
i can't believe it! i have been on fb for like 5 years and really enjoy it...but i guess i am doing more of keeping in contact with kiddos that go off to college and that. i do a little of reconnecting with hs friends.
i like the blog being that part for you though! good work. breaking up is hard to do!
Good for you, standing up to Satan's lies! I struggle believing the same things he tries to tell me. Don't believe any of it...you are a wonderful woman and I know you touch so many lives. Your blog is wonderfully honest and inspiring (sounds like a movie review :)) and I get so much from reading it. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself.
Uh-oh...I joined Facebook just a few weeks ago! I'm not into any of the poking, flair, kisses, flowers, or whatever all of that stuff is...I just wanted to (hopefully) get in touch with a few former classmates. Unfortunately, I haven't found very many. I guess I'm too old for Facebook!
I had to chuckle a little bit at your comment about followers on your blog. I lost a follower today! I wondered if I had offended or slighted someone. It bothered me all day. Isn't that sad?!
I've only recently been reading your blog, but I find you to be delightful! Your posts are from the heart. And I love to read about your family. Your children are precious.
Blessings to you! :o)
I am encouraged by your words. I took a break from FB for the same reasons...why is she comment on hers and not mine, look at their house, look at how many friends she has...and the list goes on. I'm glad Satan is pushed far from you where he needs to be.
Hey Mere. You inspired me to 'break-up' with MySpace. Thanks! I still have the Facebook, but I know exactly what you mean. It was great to see you the other day! I hope we can get together sometime soon.
Post a Comment