Thursday, January 15, 2009

For Mature Audiences Only

Have you ever sat down and really read your Bible? I mean really read it? I'm not talking the gospels. Don't get me wrong. Those are great. Obviously. But, there's some other REALLY good stuff in there.

Stuff to encourage you. Comfort you. Guide you. You get to hear God's heart. You get to see it lived out through Jesus. The Bible is awesome!

I, however, discovered a whole other side of the Bible yesterday. I read through a book that, quite frankly, I was a little embarrassed to read. A book that should start with a warning: FOR MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY!!! I mean, holy cow!!! I was a little red cheeked and I'm almost 32 for Pete's sake.

I'm talking about Song of Solomon. Oh my. It even had me wishing that Cory would come home for lunch. Or maybe we could put the kids to bed early. Or maybe.... okay. I'll stop. But, SERIOUSLY. Have you read it?

Have you seen what God has just for us?? For our husbands?? Wow. It'll knock your socks off... or something like that.

Such love. Such passion. Such romance. It's all spelled out. Seriously. You can't miss it. You've got to go read it. Your husbands should go read it...

I love that THAT is in the Bible. I also love this part of the book...

"How beautiful are your feet in sandals,
O prince's daughter!
The curves of your thighs are like jewels,
The work of the hands of a skillful workman.
Your navel is a rounded goblet;
It lacks no blended beverage.
Your waist is a heap of wheat
Set about with lilies.
Your two breasts are like two fawns,
Twins of a gazelle.
Your neck is like an ivory tower,
Your eyes like the pools in Heshbon
By the gate of Bath Rabbim.
Your nose is like the tower of Lebanon
Which looks towards Damascus.
Your head crowns you like Mount Carmel.
And the hair of your head is like purple;
A king is held captive by your tresses."
Song of Solomon 7:1-5


Did you read it? I mean REALLY read it? The curves of your thighs are like jewels? Curves. Your navel is a rounded goblet? Rounded. Your waist is a heap of wheat? Heap. Your two breasts are like two fawns. Have you ever seen big fawns?

I just love this. The bride is loved. Adored. A REAL woman. It does not say that she had a "perfect" body. She had curvy thighs. A rounded belly. A big waist. And to top it all off? Little tiny breasts. Praise the Lord!

And you know what else?? He thought she was PERFECT. Completely perfect. She was perfect.

I love this. As hard as I may be on myself, I know, without a doubt, that Cory thinks I'm perfect. He doesn't care that my thighs are curvy. That my belly is rounded. That my waist is thick. Nor does he give a rip that my two breasts have become two itty bitty fawns from nursing 4 kids. He loves me. He thinks I'm perfect. I love that!

Satan can get such a grip. He's absolutely had one on me in the past. Had me believing lies. Lies. Lies that put a gap between Cory and I. Lies that made me not want him to touch me. Satan loved every second of it... Praise the Lord God opened my eyes. He showed me what Cory saw. I no longer believe those lies... well, most of the time.

God has given us so many great words. This book is among many of them. It's opened my eyes to what God has for me. He gave us something so amazing. It truly is meant to be amazing. When I believe the lies, Satan throws a party. Seriously. That's just NOT okay.

So, I'll cling to God's word. And when I start to doubt them, I'll read them again... then I'll go blush a little.

7 comments:

John said...

LOL! we totally got into the song of solomon during religion class in 6th grade. racy stuff!

but yes, you make good points!

Julie D. said...

1st mere, please tell me you know 'john' and he is not just some random guy reading your thoughts on song of solomon?! Please. Oh Please.

I never even noticed the whole 'fawn' thing!! ROCK ON!! I do have hope with out reconstruction! ;)

Julie D. said...

oh good. just went to 'john's' blog...its a sheelagh. looks likea friend of yours! :) phew. just watching your back, mere! love ya!

annaliese said...

love this post! we do believe lies about our bodies--and our husband DO love our curves so much more than the supposed 'perfect' model bodies in magazines :)

John said...

ha ha ha, no, i'm not some random blog stalker. i do actually know meredith. :-)

and hey! "with child" is my blog too. sheesh. ;-P

Megan said...

Hard to admit, but no. I can't say that I remember reading Song of Soloman all the way through. (I'm *horrible* at reading my Bible too. I need to seriously be better!) SO nice to know that God sees the curves as perfect. =)

Mara said...

Mere...wow, great stuff just keeps pouring out of you! Keep it coming!