Something happened to me the other day. I have suspicions, but I really don't know what came over me. I didn't even realize what had happened until dinner time. Then it hit me.
I was crabby like no other. I was exhausted. I felt as though a truck had slammed into me. Then I realized...
Somehow. Someway. I had channeled Supermom. I wasn't even trying to. She snuck into my house. She threw on the costume and away I went. Holy cow.
Ask anyone who knows me. I am not a fan of Supermom. I think that she has a way of making other moms feel less about themselves. She causes us normal, average moms to feel like we are below average. If only we could do it all. If only our kids were always clean. Our houses were always clean. Our kids were always well behaved. We would have dinner on the table when our husbands came home. Sex every night. We would be perfect. Our lives would be perfect. We would be able to leap through the grocery store in a single bound...
I used to try and do it. You know. Be Supermom. I thought that's what we were supposed to do. Then I realized that is NOT what God has for us. It's just not. It's not about having everything perfect. It's about being the best mom and wife that we can. It's about teaching our children about God. It's about shining God's light. It's about having God's best for us and our family. It is NOT about being perfect.
The thing about Supermom is that she does not rely on God. She relies on herself. She is the superhero. Sorry Supermom. God is the only Superhero.
I realized the other night that I was so tired because I had done entirely too much.
10 loads of laundry at 1 hour and 15 minutes per dryer cycle
Folding said loads EVERY hour and 15 minutes... that's more often than you nurse a newborn!
Cleaning 2 of the 3 bathrooms... Cory was doing haircuts that night in the 3rd
Dusting the entire house... knocking some cobwebs down along the way
Cleaning the baseboards in the bathrooms
Making our bed... yes, this is NOT normal. Sorry Mom.
Playing with my sweet children
Cleaning out my washer... my sweet 13 year old had puked all over his bed the night before. I actually had to CLEAN the nasties from my washer. Yuck!
This list may seem like nothing to some and way too much for others. For me, it was WAY too much. I was exhausted. It took me 12 1/2 hours to do all that laundry and I still wasn't done. I was so tired that all I could come up with for dinner was baked potatoes. As they were cooking, I realized we had no sour cream. What's a tired mom to do?
My poor sweet family. Our cupboards are bare. My mind is a barren wasteland. We ended up having what my husband calls skillet. I chopped up those deliciously baked potatoes. Cooked up some chopped onion and some bacon. Shredded a little cheese and cooked it all together with some scrambled eggs. Nice. Easy. Breakfast for dinner.
What's frustrating is that I didn't even know she had taken over. Thankfully, I was able to realize it before it got really bad. Before I started putting my value in the things I had gotten done. Before I started getting frustrated because I had tried to do it all on my own.
It's just way too tiring to go it on my own. I need God. I may get exhausted even as God walks beside me. Even as He carries me. However, with Him, I get the wonderful comfort and closeness. I don't put my value in the "jobs" I do. I don't think I'm better because I got all those jobs done. I'm actually a little irritated. All it did was make me tired and crabby.
Don't get me wrong. I'm glad those things are all done. Cole might be sleeping on a sheetless bed had I not. However, the way in which I went about it was all wrong. It caused me to be one tired, pooped Mommy. A mommy who collapsed into bed. A wife who was just WAY too tired. Sorry babe.
So, hopefully next time I can realize that she has snuck in the backdoor before my whole day is wasted. Wasted on chores. Yep. I just said that. Wasted. Why did she make me feel like I needed to clean the bathrooms too. Why did I need to dust and make my bed. My word. 10 loads of laundry over 12 1/2 hours was certainly enough for me. That in and of itself would have been enough. The bathrooms could have waited for another day. The dusting too for that matter. Darn that Supermom!
Stay out you crazy lady. Don't ever come back. I don't like you and you're not welcome here. God is my Superhero and I don't need you around telling me lies. Just keep out. Thank you.
14 comments:
Thank you for this post. I think we too often don't realize that relying on God is a heck of a lot more peaceful as well as a better lesson for our little ones. This is a GREAT dose of reality when we all feel a little overwhelmed :-)
Thank you for the post! I somehow have also allowed Supermom into my home this week and with poor results! Thanks for reminding me of what truly matters.
From a recovering perfectionist: "AMEN, Sister!"
We had breakfast for dinner too last night...we call it BRINNER!
I love me some bacon!
Love you!
This is so well said Mer! I almost always allow her to take over. I either do too much or think I should have done way more than I did at the end of each day. You put that in check...thank you!
I love your SuperMOM Post. From one very not SuperMom to another...enjoy your weekend, put your feet up and relax!
Craziness, I say. Craziness! =) I'm glad you were able to realize that you don't need to be Super Mom, even if it was after all that was done! lol I hope you're able to now RELAX for the weekend! =)
This post was very encouraging - I am a new mom and sometimes I am so hard on myself if I don't get all the "tasks" done. God has so much grace to give to me.
(I found your blog through Krista's blog. My husband (Jake Saylor) went to NAU with you. I love your blog (it is always very encouraging)...sorry, I am a blog stalker.)
What a great post...thanks Mere!
oh, yeah...I have a big thing of sour cream...you should have called me :) I know I'm not down teh street, but I do live in Ridgefield :)
we're big on 'skillet' lately- so dang good. i think the fact that you get yourself and the kids to all the places you need to be makes you a supermom. oh, AND you do laundry? whenever i feel overwhelmed with just one, i think mere does this...with 5! like it or not, you'll always be a supermom to me. i can't even handle a blog, it's pathetic! just catching up on all yours and you are such an encouragement mere. love you, t
great post...I was tired just from reading everything you got done...I think I live in a constant state of being behind on laundry, grocery shopping and even sex...I do however like to have clean kids...everything else can wait... :) Slow down supermom!!! Life is too short to get that much done in one day! Must enjoy...must slow down... :)
This is my first visit to your blog - I've heard so many great things and now I know why. You have a gift of writing your feelings - your perspective on Supermom is wonderful - good for you for recognizing "her" - and good for you for apologizing to your hubby - he probably loved that! Thanks for reminding us who the "Superhero" is!
You are my new idol. With only 2 kids (but dreaming of 4) I am going to continue to follow your blog and try to soak up some of your sanity from afar.
A good friend of mine once said that she always talks to God while she folds laundry. I have since made this ritual my own. I now find myself wondering what I would have said while folding 10 loads of laundry!
Post a Comment