Wednesday, December 17, 2008

December By The Numbers

I used to be so good with numbers. Dates that is. Not math. I could remember friends birthdays. Their kids birthdays. Anniversaries. Appointments. You name it, I remembered. My head is now so filled with diapers, naps, meals, school schedules, Mom's schedules, etc. I feel like someone with Alzheimer's. My long term memory still does pretty well. It's trying to remember when I last bathed my children that really stumps me.

The month of December has me reliving MANY days...

December 1st, 2006 - Cory goes into the hospital

December 4th, 1995 - Cole's birthday

December 6th, 2007 - Cory's Dad, Scott, goes to be with Jesus

December 6th, 2007 - Traci comes home from the hospital. Safe and sound.

December 10th, 2006 - Cory has emergency surgery

December 11th, 2006 - Brenton giggles for the 1st time

December 15th, 2002 - Positive pregnancy test after 6 rounds of clomid and miscarrying the month before

December 16th, 1993 - Boy that Cory set me up with breaks up with me after church. Cory gives me a hug to comfort me... God starts working on Cory's heart.

December 17th, 1997 - Cory proposes by wrapping my ring in an old t-shirt and disguising it as a Christmas gift. I get annoyed that he got me something else. He says it's little. I roll my eyes at the old t-shirt, call him a dork as I thought the t-shirt was the gift. He pulls the ring out as I'm rolling my eyes and calling him a dork... whoops.

December 18th, 1997 - I get to go dress shopping for the 1st time. We set the date for the following December.

December 19th, 1993 - In a smooth high school move, Cory and I end up holding hands as he brings me home from church. God starts working on my heart.

December 20th, 1993 - Cory takes me to lunch on my lunch break. As we walk along he puts his arm around me. I get butterflies.

December 20th, 2006 - Cory comes home from the hospital

December 21st, 1993 - Cory and I go to see the zoo lights with a bunch of friends. We end up "secretly" holding hands the entire train ride. We drive home that night, holding hands. Again. I'm wondering what the heck is going on. Is it really okay to hold your best friend's hand? We get to my house and he stops me as I go to open the door. He asks me to be his girlfriend. We kiss for the first time. I was 16.

December 24th, 2002 - I make an ornament for our parents with pink and blue confetti inside. The outside says, "Merry Christmas from Baby to Be 2003!!!" We all cry tears of joy.

December 24 and 25 - We celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

Along the way there are specific dates that I don't remember. The years...

1990 - My friend's Mom drives my two friends and I up to Seattle. We are beyond excited. The destination? The M.C. Hammer concert. I can't remember the opening act... possibly Vanilla Ice or En Vogue. Nice. We get into the concert and sit. And sit. The concert never starts. Good old M.C. got stuck in Portland and bad weather had arrived. The concert was cancelled. Tragic. We leave the concert and are scared as my friends mom drives around Seattle. Slipping and sliding on the icy streets. I recently felt really old when Cole saw Cory's old M.C. Hammer CD and pronounced his name McHammer. Oh no sweet boy. That's M.C. Hammer. No disrespecting.

1997 - I join Cory, his Dad and girlfriend, and Traci in Maui. We spend a warm sunny week there. We go to see Titanic. I sob uncontrollably.

1997 - Cory and Traci's 1st Christmas without their Mom

I vividly remember all these days. I can remember what I was wearing when Cory asked me to be his girlfriend... Navy blue No Fear sweatshirt, maroon stretch pants, big bunchy socks and my timberland boots. My wonderfully permed hair was in a nice big, high pony tail. Those were the days. So thrilled stretch pants are making a comeback... oh wait. No I'm not.

I was wearing my brown corduroy overalls and cream colored turtleneck when Cory asked me to be his wife... So glad overalls have yet to make a comeback.

I remember shaking with excitement as I drove the car out of the parking garage as I went to pick Cory up curbside. So excited to be bringing him home.

I remember rocking out to Vanilla Ice on the way up to Seattle in the 8th grade.

I remember feeling like a princess when I got to try wedding dresses on for the 1st time.

I remember missing Pam terribly. Still do.

I remember Christmas Eve's filled with family and friends. Christmas day's filled with excitement. Praising the Lord for blessing us with His son. Praising the Lord for ALL our amazing blessings.

Thank you Lord for these memories I hold so dear. I love you Lord!

12 comments:

Megan said...

Isn't it so fun to go back down Memory Lane? I'm the same way with birthdays and anniversarys. Before cell phones, I was the same way with phone numbers. lol

Krista said...

I totally remember the overalls outfit!! :)
LOVE YOU!

Lee Ann said...

That was lots of fun! I loved my overalls as well.

Just so you know :-) I think some of your 2007's are maybe wrong. :-)

rae ann said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy said...

Okay, you know my overalls story, but I'll share it again: I was getting farther along in my pregnancy with Ryan, maybe 20-some odd weeks. I put on my regular overalls and as I'm trying to do the snaps on the side, they are getting a little snug. I ask Tripp, "can I still get away with wearing these?" His response, "poor little buttons". Thanks honey. I haven't worn them since.

Eryn said...

Oh...the stretch pants with bunchy socks and boots. Pretty sure I had that exact outfit...REAL pretty to look back on.

nateandtraci said...

your memory is incredible, it was so fun to hear about all this stuff. except that bit about you and my brother kissing, gross. oh my word and "mchammer"? priceless... love you mere, and love your blog- it always makes me smile. or cry. or both.

Sid said...

I feel like I have to comment on this one. You have such a way with words. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, your faith and trimuph over trials. You have a beautiful family. You inspire me. Thank you....

Jennifer said...

oh Meredith, I totally remember going to see M.C. Hammer with you and Alison! It WAS Vanilla Ice that we 'rocked' out to on the way there(Jared Sutherland gave me that 'tape' for my birthday and I brought it with me in the car :) That was a crazy snow storm. Remember we hung out in the van of some people that were sitting by us while we waited for Alison's mom to come back? and had to get a hotel room because we couldn't drive home due to the weather. I still remember what I wore on my first date with Jeremy - 15yrs. ago (Nov.13th). :) fun times.

Dee said...

Oh my, you store a lot up there!
How do you do that with five kids?
You're amazing!

Mara said...

I loved reading all that and being able to remember a lot of it right along with you....what a wonderful journey we are on! Thanks for the memories!

Shannon said...

thanks for walking us down your memory lane. That was fun! I thought I remembered lots of dates from the past...you totally win!

I especially the the outfits you were wearing!