Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Peace


I was doing it too last week. You know. Complaining about the weather. Tired of being trapped with my kids. Jealous that Cory got to go to work each day. Jealous that he got peace and quiet. Frustrated that my house looked like a war zone. Frustrated that my days were not going as planned.

Then, the snow started falling. And falling some more. The ground was covered. The trees were covered. Instead of frustration, I found myself calming down. Enjoying the peace. Every time I walk by a window, I gaze upon the beauty that God has blessed us with. Every single time. It does not cease to amaze me.

Our power went out yesterday and Cory was gracious enough to come home and pick us up. We had just a few things to take care of before Christmas. And thankfully, the power turned back on just as we were leaving. Off we went. Rushing to the bank to get there before they closed at 1:00. We left at 12:30. That shouldn't be a problem... in normal weather anyway. We arrived at 1:06. Too late.

We then set out for Costco. We thought we'd surprise the kids by getting to eat there. They ALWAYS want to eat at Costco. Every single time we leave, they ask to eat there. I'm pretty sure that Caden and Cole are the only ones who have ever even had the pleasure. So, here we are thinking they'd enjoy lunch at Costco. Nope. Caden said his pizza was too mushy. Ella took about 5 bites of her hot dog. Which, come to think of it, probably was about the same amount as eating a normal hot dog. Brent had a few bites of pizza and Jack did surprising well. Eating both his hot dog and some of Brent's pizza.

After Costco we pressed on to Target. We got a little of this. A little of that. On a mission. I needed some boots... a little too late! Payless even had a sign on the door. "Sold out of snow and rain boots". Probably should have thought about getting some sooner...

What I noticed, was how incredibly crazy it all was. We were gone for 4 1/2 hours. The only peaceful time the WHOLE time was when we were driving. The stores were crazy. People weren't smiling. They were busy. Rushing. Rushing. Rushing.

It's easy to get caught up in that. Searching. Searching for the perfect gift. I know that I always want to find the perfect gift. I just realized this morning that try as we might, we'll always fall short. Jesus was the only TRULY perfect gift. Everything else just doesn't even measure up.

In all the hustle and bustle, it's easy to forget. Forget what Christmas is all about. Your blood starts pumping. You race through the store. Wanting to get the perfect gift before the guy next to you. It's a race. It wasn't meant to be this way...


God wants us to be still. To enjoy the most wonderfully perfect gift He has given us. I'm pretty sure, His intention wasn't for us to be stressing out this time of year. To be hustling from one thing to another. I'm pretty sure that as we run the race, He's sitting there telling us to slow down. Reflect. Remember. To sit in His presence and enjoy the best gift ever.

We're only a couple of days away from Christmas. The forecasters are calling for more snow. I'm thankful. Thankful that we have gotten to slow down. Thankful for time with my family. Thankful for playing hand and foot with Cory and Cole. Even thankful that for once, no wait, THREE times I actually won. Oh wait. That's not the point... Thankful for pancakes for dinner and cookies all day. Thankful for moonlit walks in the snow. Thankful for the laughter coming from my children as they play. Thankful that as Caden prayed the other night he thanked God for his Mom and Dad. His Mom who plays games and snuggles with him. And his Dad who plays in the snow and plays video games with him.


The snow has reminded me that we need to slow down. Reflect. Praise God. Remember that Jesus was such a perfect gift. He was THE only gift we need.


Thank you Lord for all this snow. Thank you for trapping me with my children... even though I may whine about it at times. Thank you for each amazing snowflake that falls. Reminding us of how creative you are. That each snowflake is different. Just like us. Thank you for loving us. Thank you for sending your son. Thank you for tolerating our whining. Thanks for setting us straight. Thank you for your beauty. Beauty that is right before our eyes. Your reminders are awesome. You are amazing. My heart is full of you Lord. I love you!

"And it came to pass in those days that a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered. This census first took place while Quirinius was governing Syria. So all went to be registered, everyone to his own city.

Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, to the city of David, which is call Bethlehem because he was of the house and lineage of David to be registered with Mary, his betrothed wife, who was with child. So it was, that while they were there, the days were completed for her to be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid.

Then the angel said to them,
"Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger."

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying:

"Glory to God in the highest,
And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!"

6 comments:

Megan said...

You are so correct! And tonight we have to go to the MALL and get a couple more gifts! It's going to be insane. But hopefully we can just enjoy our time together before we rush home to wrap gifts, which I haven't even started yet.
:0P

Love your pictures, but there are none of YOU!! I think you need to remedy that and have your hubby take some of you. ;0)

Shannon said...

Glad you are enjoying the peace!
it looks like ya'll are having lots of fun together!

I am LOVING the snow!!!!!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Meredith, this is an excellent post. Beautiful in your words and your pictures.

The beginning of your post echoed my thoughts and words exactly.

I am glad to have found your blog, I am going to enjoy keeping up with your family.

Merry Christmas, Pam

PS. the bark is great!!

meleea said...

amen meredith!! we went to fred meyer in battle ground yesterday and it was the most chaotic crazy thing - shelves were empty - lines 8 deep at every register! i kept thinking...i just want to get back home to the peace & beauty of christmas - real christmas - not the chaos the world has made it!

Kelli said...

thanks for sharing your thoughts Mer. I long for the day when we can actually pull all that off and really slow down to make Christmas about a birthday again...and not about us...some day...

Trish said...

Amazing!
The beauty of it all is that somehow, someway God shows himself to us, be it through the beauty of his creation or an elderly lady in Fred Meyer. Our God loves us and only wants us to return that love, not get wrapped up in all the world thinks is right.

You rock and are such a blessing to me!

Merry CHRISTmas to you all.
Love you!