Thursday, October 30, 2008

Really Going There... Obama Vs. McCain

***Update: Only 4 of my readers were willing to share. I've published the comments. Here's mine...

I truly was hoping for some enlightenment. I was truly hoping that someone could say something that would cause me to be less anxious about this upcoming election. I so want to know something good. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately (I guess it depends on how you look at it) those that posted all support McCain.

I too support McCain. My reason for this truly has boiled down to one thing. If a man is okay with killing babies when they might have survived I wonder what else he is capable of. He may have a great smile. He may look like a nice guy. I'm sorry. Nice guys are not okay with that. What else is he okay with? It truly frightens me and makes me sick to my stomach. I just read on another blog that Obama is pro choice, not pro abortion... I'm sorry, but is there a difference? I can't pretend to know what some people lives are like. I cannot imagine some of the absolutely terrible conditions some babies are brought into. But, why is it better to just kill the baby before they even get a chance. Why can't adoption be a choice?

I have a friend that could have had her life ended in an abortion. Her mom got pregnant by way of an affair. She was married. He was married. Her mom had had at least 2 abortions before getting pregnant with her. She had no reason to not have another one. As my friend says, she must have heard God whispering in her ear. Telling her to keep this child. My friend's life could have been very different. She could be dead. For many reasons. Her mom was not the most responsible person. There were many many times that God was watching over my friend. Protecting her. Loving her. Keeping her far from danger. As she gets older and finds out more of the story she sees God's hand in her life more and more. I love hearing her story. I love hearing how God has used her. I truly feel that she is the one who brought her mom to the Lord. If her mom had aborted her, would she have found the Lord? God is amazing. He saved my friend. He brought her mom home. I am so very thankful that she is here. I am so very thankful that her mom heard God's whispers. I know that my friend's story is a powerful one. I love watching it unfold as she continues to learn more.

I also choose to vote for McCain because he has shed blood for this country. He's done it before, he would do it again. He is loyal. Can we say that for Obama? Do we know without a shadow of a doubt that he is 100% with our country? Doesn't seem to look that way.

Finally, and this will probably make some laugh. Possibly role their eyes. I don't care. I'm putting it out there. I've had a really hard time with Oprah for quite awhile. She is a women with a lot of power and a lot of followers. I feel she is very irresponsible with that power. When she decided to go the whole Eckhart Tolle route I turned my back. Oprah supports Obama. Obama supports Oprah. She scares me. He scares me. Together, it's frightening. Again, I'm sure some eyes are rolling. I don't care. He truly makes my stomach turn.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I know. I know. I shouldn't go here. I really shouldn't. I should just keep my mouth shut. Instead, I'm stepping up to the line and jumping over... kind of.

Let me preface this by saying I am a tad bit on the hormonal side right now. I'm realizing a pattern in myself. Around this time, every month, I start getting really teary. Weird. So, as I sat down to fill out my ballot yesterday and was reading the descriptions of the presidents, I started to cry. Silly? Quite possibly. Sad? Pretty much. Can you imagine? Someone crying over the presidential election? Just by reading their descriptions? I'm sure hormones have A LOT to do with it. I'm not a super political person. I've been known to tease my friends who get all fired up. I love 'em. I'm just not THAT into it. I blame it on being too tired. My head gets overwhelmed. Truly it does. As I read the voter's pamphlet, everything started to look like it was written in a different language. However, even though I get overwhelmed, it is still my duty as an American to vote. I'm called to do it. Even if I don't really want to.

I've been praying a lot for this upcoming election. Truly. I'm scared. There seems to be so many unknowns. I'm not sure if it's always been like this and I was too young to notice or if this election is truly something different. Something to be scared of. As I go to that scary place, God reminds me. He is in control. He already knows who will win. He knows the future of our country. I pray that we will get His best. Knowing that we could also be allowed to make a mistake.

I tend to wear blinders when I feel strongly about something or someone. There are no negatives surrounding that something or someone. There are no positives surrounding the something or someone that I do not care for. As we've gotten closer to the election I've sat wondering. Wondering how anyone could pick the candidate that I don't care for. With my blinders, it just doesn't make sense. However, sitting here, just days before the election. I'm thinking we could all use some time to take off our blinders. If "your" guy doesn't win, you are still called to respect the one God and our country has chosen. God calls us to that. We are to be obedient. So, if we have our blinders on and can only see the bad, how can we respect that authority. How can we do what God calls us to do?

It seems people are either passionately Obama, or passionately McCain. What is it? What is causing them to vote for one or the other? I'm not trying to start a debate. I don't want that and that is not the point. What I want is to open our eyes. See what God sees. See what others see. I'm turning comment moderation on and also the ability to post anonymously. I would love if you could answer this one question.

If you could give just ONE reason why you are voting for the person of your choice, what would it be. Again, just one reason. Not a debate. I will post all the replies at one time. I will post my reason at the same time. I will then shut off the ability to comment. I want this to be safe. I want this strictly for blinder removal purposes. Your response, I'm sure, will change no one's vote. All I want is for us to be prepared. Prepared to graciously welcome whoever wins.

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor." Romans 13:1-7

Will it be easy? Probably not. But God has ultimate control. He IS in control. Knowing that, we can stand firm, hold tight to the word of God and continue to pray for our country.

7 comments:

Trish said...

Alright, I'm going first.........I will vote for John McCain. I will not vote for Obama because

I am absolutely convinced that he has too close of ties to the Muslim faith. I know some Muslims here in town who have erected a vitual shrine to Obama in their house. I do believe that McCain will finish the war in Iraq, it is not a war witout a purpose as the main stream media would like us to believe. It is a war about the safety of our nation and our future safety will be in jeopardy if Obama is elected.

Secondly, socialized healthcare, like that which Obama wants to put in place, IS NOT GOOD.

Also, LIFE, that of the unborn children that GOD has created. It should never be possible for a mother to choose to end that life, particularly at a stage in the pregnancy where that life outside of the womb is viable.

Experience.......173 days as a Senator does NOT make you qualified to run our nation.

I could go on, but those are just a few of the resons why I am NOT voting for Obama.

However, like you said, our God is in CONTROL.

Devon said...

i just wanted to say thank you for the bible verses you left on my blog this morning...

thank you for sharing - it brought me great comfort and encouragement this morning. thank you...

Shannon said...

In a word...morality. I vote based on the moral issues and where the candidates stand on those issues. With the choice I have...I choose McCain. However I fear that because our country has deviated SO far morally from biblical values (as a whole) that we will probably end up getting what we deserve...Obama. But my vote will be for McCain.

Rebecca said...

Sorry but I'm with you on board the "don't really care" boat for politics. Sorry if it's socially irresponsible or whatever, but it's really hard for me to get worked up over it. Discussing politics makes me uncomfortable.

Honestly, the hottest issue for me this election was Prop 8, which is the California ban on same-sex marriage.

I voted for McCain because at the end of the day I'm a conservative Republican and his values are more in line with mine.

Our church has this voter guide that they distribute and I generally agree with their recommendations.

Pray, then vote. God knows the outcome and will use whichever for His glory.

niccole w. said...

I'm voting for him because I'm too scared to vote for the other.

Unknown said...

Oh friend. I have been feeling the exact same way. And do you know what? The prayers of the righteous will turn this nation around. So I am praying. And even if he wins, I know there will still be those faithful praying for the lives of innocents and our safety here and abroad. And I'm not giving up.

I have been teaching a little class to elementary kids about Elijah. It's been so interesting to see how downtrodden and frustrated Elijah got when he could see no righteousness, anywhere around him. But God still said, "Look to me. Take your eyes off of everything around you, and look at me." And God answered Elijah's prayer.

I am praying and fighting right alongside you. Don't be afraid - be emboldened!

I'm so glad I've found your blog!

Cass said...

Again you have spoken words that I have been trying to form in my mind! I am very afraid that tomorrow our country will elect a man that has no experience, no morals, no christianity, & no compassion. I will be voting for McCain for the same reasons all of you stated. But more than that I am voting for God! NO matter what MY JESUS will still be God tomorrow! MY JESUS will still be the King of Kings & the Lord of Lords! No man can take that away from us & I choose to take refuge in HIM!

I am loving your blog & am so glad you found me!!