Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Refreshed

I was blessed with a weekend away this last weekend. I was able to go away with some great girlfriends and it was so refreshing. It was just what I needed. It emptied my body of all stress. It filled my soul. I came home a new woman.

Layers of stress that have been building up over the last year were stripped away all in one weekend. It is amazing! What really struck me was the fact that I was not tired ALL weekend long. Not one wink. I went to sleep at 1:00 am on Friday night and slept until 10. Stayed up until 2 on Saturday night and woke up at 9 on Sunday morning. I usually sleep about 8 hours at night so it wasn't like I got a lot more sleep than normal either. The secret? I didn't have to care for 6 other people the entire weekend! Shhhhh. Don't tell! Nope. I didn't have to prepare 5 plates for each meal before my own. I didn't have to wipe any poopy bottoms. I put no one in time out. I listened to no one scream. I didn't scream. I didn't put anyone to bed. I didn't wash any clothes. I cleaned up NO toys. It was a weekend filled with talking and laughter. We talked, talked and talked some more. We talked from the time we woke up until we went to sleep at night. I loved every minute. The time seemed to literally fly by.

When I came home I couldn't wait to get some loves from my babies. As much as I enjoyed my weekend away, I couldn't wait to see their smiling faces. Caden and Jackson waved out the window as I got out of the car and Brenton met me at the front door. My sweet babies. I could have snuggled them all night. We then snuggled the morning away yesterday and had more snuggles before bedtime. Apparently, I was missed.

The great thing is that I seriously feel renewed. My nerves are not shot. In fact, yesterday while upstairs getting lunch orders from Jackson and Ella, Brenton took it upon himself to put a little more peanut butter on his sandwich. I had already made his lunch. He was eating his lunch when I went upstairs. Before I went upstairs, I safely put the peanut butter far from the edge of the counter. Far from my sweet boys fingertips... or so I thought. When I came back downstairs, Brenton had the peanut butter on the table. Lid off. Half his sandwich stuffed in the container. The other half on a napkin with a knife that had peanut butter all over it. He had peanut butter all over his hands. He had a grin on his face a mile wide. He was so proud. Before this trip, I would have been frustrated. He probably would have gotten in trouble. I would not have had the patience. However, since I was refreshed, I laughed, grabbed my camera, took some pictures and told him it's not okay for him to get into the peanut butter. That's Mommy's job. Perhaps I need to get away more often...

Once again I find myself thanking the Lord for blessing us with such amazing friends. For surrounding us with support. For loving us so much that he didn't put us all alone on our own island. How lonely life would be to not have friends to walk through life's ups and downs. How fun it is to be able to laugh and talk ALL weekend long. How awesome it is to get a break. And how fantastic it is to come home again.


Thank you Lord for weekends away. Thank you for refreshment. Thank you for beyond amazing friends. Thank you for my beautiful family. Thank you. I love you!!

5 comments:

Lee Ann said...

So glad you had such a good refreshing time! We all need those weekends away. Maybe my hubby should read your post, then maybe he'd send me away for the weekend :-)

meleea said...

so glad you guys had a fun and restful time!

Annette said...

ahhhh, i love those times when we come back a new woman! yeah! (oh, and maybe if you weren't so skimpy on Brenton's sandwich he wouldn't have had to shove it in the jar to get more. wink)

Dee said...

We are on the same page. I get my refresher this weekend. I'm so looking forward to scrapping and perhaps sewing all weekend long.

Until then, I have a lot of work to do prior to my relaxing weekend. Perhaps I'll just sleep all weekend in my tub.

Eryn said...

Ahhh, those late night giggles and chats already seem far away...I had so so so so so much fun (get it? I had fun, okay?)

What a refreshing time. ahhhhhh (sigh).