Friday, October 24, 2008

On The Playground

As I put Caden to bed the other night, he told me he did not want to go to school the next day. I asked him why. "I don't have anyone to play with". Immediately my heart was sad. I pictured my sweet boy at school. My sweet boy whom I have watched. He stands on the edge, wanting to play, not knowing how to get started. He is shy and reminds me of myself... especially when I was younger. Thankfully, a good friend of mine had gone through this with her own son. She suggested that he ask the kids if they want to play. That sometimes kids don't know that you want to play. They aren't trying to exclude you. I suggested this to Caden. Just ask someone if they want to play. Ask if you can join in their play. I prayed for him to have a better day and that he would feel God there beside Him. When he got home from school, I asked how his day was. Did he ask? No.

It's funny how life doesn't change. It seems, that even as adults, we often aren't sure how to go about building a friendship. It feels awkward to ask. Sometimes we just assume. We assume they already have good friends. We assume they don't like us. While we sit back and assume, we sit back and get lonely.

Years ago a bunch of our friends left the church that we've attended since high school. These friends were the people we had basically grown up with. We didn't see them all the time, but we always had them to talk to at church. We were in homegroups with them. They didn't leave because there was a problem with our church. They left because they felt called to another. We didn't feel called. We felt we were to stay put. When they left we had no connection.

We found ourselves becoming Sunday morning attenders. We would slip in and out. We didn't know anyone. Our blanket of friends wasn't there and it seemed everyone else had someone. It was lonely. The enemy was loving it. We were isolated and when I think back, these were some of the rougher years in our marriage. Spiritually we struggled. Financially we struggled. As a couple we struggled.

We were assuming. We didn't know how to ask others to play. We were just like Caden.

Thankfully, God opened some doors and got us plugged in. We started working with the couples ministry and were blessed to make some wonderful friends. Friends who would invite us to join their homegroup. Friends that treated us as family. As we got more involved in the couples ministry, we made more friends. It was interesting one night. I remember talking to someone and mentioning that we didn't know many people at the church anymore. Let me rephrase that. We knew people, but we didn't know people. The person I was talking to was surprised. They said they always just assumed that we were super connected. They knew we had attended the church for a long time. They assumed.

As God has challenged and stretched me I've gotten more comfortable with stepping outside my box and inviting others in. I don't feel as awkward asking others to play. What's funny about this is that I think my boundary has gone the other way. I don't want to just assume that people are connected. I don't want someone to be isolated and lonely. I know that I can't be everyone's best friend and that's not what I'm asking. However, when I'm talking to someone, I want them to know that I really do want to know how they are doing. I do care. I have several friends that I so value. When they ask me how I am doing there is no chance that I can lie. They look into my soul. I can see in their eyes that they don't want the fluff. They want the truth. I love this!

I'm sure I overstep at times. I just want people to know they are not alone. There is someone there who cares. If they have someone already, great. If they just need someone in that moment to pray for them, I'll do it. As I've gone through trials, the things that have reminded me that God is there are times when I've gotten an email. An email just to say I'm thinking about you. I'm praying for you. The times that have touched me most are the times when someone has prayed for me and said things that there is no way they could have known. I know God is there. He gave them those words. He prompted their heart. I treasure cards I've gotten that say exactly what I needed to hear. So often, I pass on a prompting. Wondering if that prompting is coming from God or my own flesh. It's often awkward. More and more I just have to get over myself. What if that prompting is from God and the person you're thinking about just needs to hear that someone is praying for them. They just need that connection. They need to hear from God and God is asking that you let them know that He is there. He is right beside them. He cares.

I've decided that when I'm out on the playground I need to start looking around. Who's standing there wanting to play? And on the days when it seems everyone else has a friend to play with, I just need to remember to ask if I can play too. God knows our paths. He knows when they will cross. He will prompt us. Are we listening?

9 comments:

Lee Ann said...

Thanks for writing that for ME! I have been really convicted lately that I just need to ask. I ASSUME everything about everyone. My biggest assumption is that they already have enough friends, that there wouldn't be room for me. I'm 33 years old and still doing what Caden does. For 33 years! It's time for me to get over this :-) I will pray that it doesn't take Caden 33 years.

Eryn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eryn said...

OK, I was tired. Now who is crossing the line? :)

Great post by the way...good food for thought. Love you!

Julie D. said...

man, mere. your posts are always long.... but good long. never fluff. always good stuff. Thanks for that. I needed that. I'm an assumer. life is too short to assume that everyone's 'dance card' is filled. we need each other.

jlchristblog said...

ah mere~ you are such a ray of sunshine. i really hope to get to know you better - i just love your openess.
lindsay

Erica said...

Oh, the assumptions. I know how that feels though, to walk in and out of church and realize that I'm so disconnected that I don't have anything to say to people. Not because of them, but because I've let me assumptions and satan get the best of me. But, I'm so thankful for an amazing God who loves to take us out of those situations and work it all for His good! I love it when I get a real honest answer when I ask someone how they're doing! I loved reading your blog! You are awesome!

Trish said...

you girl, are amazingly gifted in the blog department!
that was a great post.

i too need to look around the playground more often.

love ya!

Shannon said...

VERY good reflection Mere. I think we have all been there on at least one side of that coin if not both! Thanks for the openness and the great words of encouragement!

Dee said...

Double Amen, Sister! Isolation is a form of Satan's destruction.