Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Harvest?

I have a hard time with today. At 31, I'm still unsure how I feel about Halloween. I grew up trick-or-treating. I loved it! I loved getting to dress up. I loved the candy (still do). I love the crisp air as you walk around at night.
When we had Caden I started to question. Do we allow him to trick-or-treat? As a child, I didn't know the controversy that surrounded Halloween. As a mother, how could I not?

We have gone trick-or-treating every year since he was 2. We have celebrated Halloween. I have questioned every year.

Yesterday, we were driving in the car. Our conversation went a little like this:

Jackson: Mom, that house still needs to decorate for Halloween, right?

Me: No. Maybe they don't do Halloween.

J: Why?

M: Some people choose not to do Halloween.

J: Why?

M: Because there are really icky things that go along with Halloween. Things that are not of God. Things that make Mommy not want to do it either.

J: Oh

As much as I don't like Halloween, there are things about it that I do love. I love watching my kids pick their pumpkins and pull out all the guts. I love the excitement of picking out costumes. I love their delight as they put their costumes on. I love taking them trick-or-treating. Holding their hands as we walk down the street. I love the smells. I love seeing all the little ones dressed up as bees, princesses, trains, etc. I love watching my babies toddle up to the doors and say "trick-or-treat" in their wonderful baby dialect. I'm filled with joy hearing them gleefully say "thank you!" I love their red noses as we walk in our door. I love watching them dump their baskets to see their spoils. They get so excited. It's a family night that I love.

Simply couldn't resist posting this picture... wrong, I know

Brenton wondering just what is inside the pumpkin
I was talking to a friend about this the other day. They do not trick-or-treat. They do, however, attend Harvest parties. They celebrate the harvest. I love the idea and have been trying to talk up the harvest, not Halloween. However, for a 7 year old that has been looking forward to Halloween for months, Happy Halloween seems to have stuck. So, my sweet 7 year old, "Happy Harvest!"

5 comments:

Trish said...

Nice job on the pumpkins!!

We are so with you on the halloween thing....do we or don't we? What's the harm in having a little fun? if we celebrate are we saying that the darkness of it all is acceptable? do my kids even need the candy? But aren't harvest carnivals fun?

come on Mere, I know you have all the answers here, right?

Meredith said...

You know what's funny... I DON'T have all the answers. Ahhh, feel better getting that off my chest.

Seriously. As we were out trick-or-treating tonight, I wasn't lovin' it. There were lots of icky houses that scared Brenton. He even stood in front of one, gripped my hand as tight as possible and said, "no, tank you Mama" Breaks a mom's heart. The scary houses along with the preteen and teenage girls with dresses FAR too short for ANYONE to wear in public pretty much did it in for me. I made mention of it to Cory... we'll see, he says.

Yep, we'll see...

As far as the carnivals, we've never done one. Seems like sensory overload for this mom of five. No thanks, not for me.

As for the candy. They sure don't need it. We're STILL working on last years candy! Yep, it's on the top shelf of the pantry and we let the kids have a piece every once in awhile if they earn it.

As for the darkness. I just had a thought. Would that be like someone voting for Obama and saying they don't like the immorality of him but they'll accept the darkness... I don't know. Just late night thoughts. Carry on...

Shannon said...

I put an interesting post on my blog about the topic. check it out.

Mara said...

Mere....I'm still struggling with what we do too....are my kids missing out? Will I stay strong or cave? Damon and I are going to do some research on this "holiday"(good thing we have a whole year!)

Danyele Easterhaus said...

we have tat discussion almost every year...and every year people around us get more and more scary and 'death-like' in their decor. i just wonder why it can't be fun instead of fearful, especially for the little ones...and for me. i am a total baby!!!

i read in a devo on oct 31 that i should remember that every day belongs to God...and halloween is no different. so, i just say 'that battle is already won' and satan can put up all that junk and do what he wants, but my God is already victorious.

well, and the candy helps me too...i can't lie. i love candy!!!