Saturday, April 25, 2009

Cole's Story

On December 4, 1995, my sister gave birth to her 1st and only child. A boy. Sweet Cole Christopher. As soon as I held him in my arms, I fell in love.

Years went by. We saw Cole less and less. He had grown into a preteen. We had 4 children of our own. We still loved him dearly, but the bond wasn't as strong.

In August 2007 we found out that my sister had asked my parents to take care of Cole for a year. She felt she needed some time to try and pull herself together. She needed a break.

I remember the day Cory came to me. He said he felt like we should offer to have Cole come to live with us. Indefinitely. I heard nothing else he had to say. I was beyond irritated. We already had 4 kids. I was barely keeping it together as it was. How in the world could he even ask to take on another child??

I remember the day God came to me. I was cleaning the kids bathroom. I was washing the mirror. Instantly, EVERY. SINGLE. REASON. popped into my head of WHY we should have him with us. I searched my head and there were NO negatives. All I could find in there were the positives. We would be able to offer him stability that he had never had. We would be able to show him what a healthy family looks like. He would have Cory to teach him how to be a good man, father and husband. He would have siblings. He would be able to keep his grandparents as grandparents. We would be able to teach him about God. His love. And His best for us.

What I didn't find out until months later was that Cory had started praying as soon as I had told him "no". He prayed that if this was truly God's will for Cole that He would change my heart. He knew that he would not bring it up again. He would respect my feelings. He did exactly as He should. He took it to God and God was AMAZINGLY faithful.

We packed up the car and made the long trek across the state. Praying the entire time. Praying that if this was God's will that all would be in support of our plan. As soon as the words came out of our mouths, my sister started crying. She had always wanted a family for Cole. She told us that what we were offering was what she had always prayed for and never knew how to ask. When we told Cole, he gave us 2 thumbs up and a big ole' grin. Cole joined our family days after we got home from our trip.

Cole has fit right into our "little" family. We love him. The kids love him. Brenton adores him.

In December, Cory and I were both feeling like we should adopt Cole. I was talking to my friend one morning. Talking about how in the world we would be able to do that. Talking about how my sister would feel. Then the other line beeped in. It was my sister...

She wanted us to adopt Cole.

My jaw hit the floor. I could not believe that God had just answered that question right then and there. And although we were both feeling like God was absolutely leading us in that direction, we agreed to pray about it until we had a clear answer from God.

December came and I posted this and this. By December 31st we both felt like we didn't necessarily have a clear answer, but we had an overwhelming peace about the whole thing. We decided that we would adopt Cole.

The next day, my sister made some decisions that landed her in the hospital. We now, quite literally, had our writing on the wall. There was no question. God went ahead, answered our call, and then, as if to say, "just so you REALLY understand, here you go."

We took Cole out to dinner one night to talk to him about adoption. As we sat talking, I could barely get the words out of my mouth before he was smiling and saying "yes". He glowed from across the table. For days he was stuck to us. Snuggling. Talking. It was as if a wall had just been shattered. He knew we wanted him. He knew he was here to stay. He was an entirely different child.

Yesterday, our family grew. Permanently. Yesterday, Cole became our son. He was so excited. We were so excited. I want to shout it from the rooftops! God has so clearly walked with us through this part of our journey. He has guided us. He has been faithful.

Both Cole and Caden said that yesterday was the best day ever. We wanted to make it special. A celebration. After the hearing, we headed to ice cream and then on to the fantastic park downtown. It was a gorgeous day. We sat, eating ice cream, enjoying family. We then drove by our dream house. No one is living there and we wanted to take a closer look. The owner was doing some work on the property and told us we could walk around. He even showed us the inside. We love it. Our kids love it. There's even a tire swing under a great big tree right outside the kitchen window. Our kids offered the owner a dollar and asked if we could buy his house... sweet kids, if only that was enough! We then headed to one of Cole's favorite restaurants, had some delicious dinner and headed home to go to bed. It was absolutely perfect!

Our promise when Cole came to live with us was that we would always make our decisions regarding him by taking them to God. That we would pray that our decisions would be God's best for Cole. Our sweet boy has been through so much and we so desire God's absolute best for him.

Thank you Lord for guiding us. Thank you for loving Cole so very very much. Thank you for protecting him all these years. Thank you for bringing him into our home. Thank you for blessing our family with another son. Thank you!

23 comments:

Pamela said...

My sweet daughter, I am writing this with tears pouring down my face. I am so excited for all of you and so blessed that you and Cory are who you are. Cole loves you all so much and forever has been blessed by your love and caring for him. Thank you Jesus for putting this family together forever. Mom

Tamara said...

OH my goodness - tears are flowing - you bless me. You inspire me. You did such a good thing for Cole and I am so happy that he is a good fit for your family. I hope that your sister is okay. Congratulations on your forever son. I know God is smiling down as He guides and protects and directs and you listen and pray and obey.

Megan said...

Ok. Totally crying here. Cole is so lucky to have you and Cory as parents! Congratulations to your whole family!!!

Amy said...

What a PERFECT day for Cole's adoption. It was gorgeous out! This will be a day that he will NEVER forget. I'm so happy that this all came together in this way. How amazing. Love you :-)

Cass said...

Oh Mere! I have tears just streaming down my face! What a beautiful story, he is blessed to have you & you are blessed to have him! Congrats friend!!!

Jennifer said...

Cole is so blessed to have been brought into such a wonderful family. You have forever changed his future for the better. Im so happy for you all. Its amazing how God answers our call when we need him too. You should be very proud of the wonderful family you have built.

Beth E. said...

This is such a heartwarming story! What a blessing for you and your family! The pictures are awesome. It's easy to see the joy on Cole's face! God's timing is absolutely perfect! :o)

Saying a prayer right now for your sister...

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a great day (and those words don't even do it justice). God picked Cole up and placed him right in the middle of you. What an amazing testimony to the momma you are, that not only would God choose you as the perfect caretaker for Caden, Jackson, Ella and Brenton - but for someone else's child as well. That he knew Cole would need you and Cory through his teenage years. That he thought "Of all the parents Cole could have, Cory and Meredith are what he NEEDS." What a blessed boy. What a great God. What plans he must have for you. You show love better and more purely than anyone I know. You enjoy - REALLY enjoy - the presence of and blessings of your children (more than anyone else I have ever known). You desire God's wisdom to fill your kids and your family. And you have a wonderful man to be an example of what it means to be a "man after God's own heart". Cole must be right in the center of God's grip to be so well taken care of. Love you.

Eryn said...

Ok, you can add me to your list of crying friends. :) I loved seeing the happy and proud look on Cole's face as he shook the judge's hand yesterday as he said it was "done!"

I love your mom's sweet note, and agree. You guys are the best. Heidi is right too, you show love better than anyone else, and Cole shows signs of the same when little mr. Brenton and he share giggles and hugs. God has shown up for sure in the midst of this and I'm sure he is smiling big this weekend as he watches you guys do what he calls us all to do. Care for orphans and widows...I love the picture adoption gives us of God's exact heart for us. To take something that doesn't belong anywhere, and give it the BEST place to belong, in a family of love. YAY!! You done good, friend, and I can see you are just as blessed to have Cole as he is to have you.

Trish said...

oh my dear friend, I too am crying!
I want to hug you RIGHT NOW! Cole too!

13.5 years ago God was preparing you for your future when he let you fall in love with that precious baby.

I pray that Cole will continue to grow into an amazing young man!

Love the pictures! Everyone's smiles are so infectious....I see love pouring out.

Krista said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!! I am so very excited for you all! It is neat to have known you when Cole was born and then to see how the Lord has woven all that together. Totally cool!! :) Love you all my dear friend!!! :)

Liz Harlow said...

What a wonderful story Meredith! I loved visiting with you and some of your kiddos! From my short time, I know how much Cole must love his home with you and Cory. It was all meant to be and written in His plan long ago. You are more amazing all the time! You have the wonderful gift of motherhood that you are now sharing with Cole as well~and have been sharing for some time. One of your many, many precious gifts my friend.

What a beautiful day, beautiful pictures, and a beautiful family~now complete!

Lee Ann said...

What an incredible stoy of an amazing God, loving boy, and a beautiful family!

annaliese said...

thank you, so much, for sharing Cole's story. so beautiful.

Julie D. said...

oh wow. that is such a cool journey... what an incredible day...what a lucky boy. Praying for God's continued blessings on your family! Congratulations!
Love, Julie

Dee said...

Oh Happy Day!
It's been a blessing praying you through this journey.

Officially a mom of FIVE, wow girl! You are amazing!

Shannon said...

yet another crying friend here! I'm so excited for you and for Cole. I know it's been something you've wanted for awhile and by the sound of it...so has Cole.

It was definitely a beautiful day and a day filled with the blessings of God for your family!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Michelle P said...

What a day filled with blessings! Congrats. You have such a great family and it is now complete. Congrats to you all!

Kel said...

goodness...and you wonder how you bless your friends????? That post did me in...I'm a 'Mer-lover!' I am sooooo proud of you for the way you have walked through this journey and let God lead your steps. There are so many things about your life that give me hope for mine. That was an amazingly warm and encouraging post. If I was still just a young gal, I would have prayed someone like your family would adopt me too! Now I have to go wipe my eyes and pray for you: for strength when this gets tough...for joy in the middle of the dark times....for love when you feel you've run out...for friends to help you carry this wonderful load the Lord has given you. Love you Mer.
Kel

Mrs. D said...

Tears here too! Cool story!

Sheelagh said...

Your story brought tears to these eyes too! What a great story! I'm so happy for you...Cole is a great addition to your family. Such a sweet kid. I remember meeting him for the first time and although I didn't know you that well I could tell he fit right in and that the kids already LOVED him like a brother!

I am overjoyed for you and your entire family! CONGRATULATIONS! Way to listen to God and follow His plan.

Sid said...

Meredith you really have a gift with the way you write. Thank you for letting us all feel a piece of the Joy you feel with you family!

amy & lisa said...

Wow...what an amazing story!! Just brings tears to me. God is so good.