But, man oh man. When I was done, I gazed upon all that I had accomplished. I'd catch myself glancing out the window at my weed free yard. It was beautiful. So clean. Ready for spring. And summer. Ready to have vegetables planted. Gorgeous.
I have to admit I was quite proud. I just recently started liking yard work. I still pat myself on the back way too much. Knowing that I had done all that work made me feel pretty darn good about myself. Until 2 days ago. Only days after finishing...
There was a weed. And then another one. Before I knew I could see so many new weeds popping through. Seriously? I just got done with this!
It made me think about life. So often, I work so hard to get my time with God. To carve out time in my day. Time to just sit and visit with my Lord and Savior. To take in His words. To soak up His wisdom. To share my life with Him. I'll get in a good pattern. I'll be on a role. Excited to spend that time with Him. Excited that I've made it all come together. And then it happens...
Weeds...
Creeping in...
Bad habits...
The computer...
The T.V...
A book...
Phone calls...
Chores...
Business...
Not God...
Before I know it, the weeds in my life have taken over again. All that I worked so hard for is gone. I can't just coast with yard work. I can't just coast with God.
Weeds.
Cleaning them up also made me think of trials. They are painful. We can be worked to the bone. When we're done, God's work is a masterpiece. But that masterpiece cannot just stand alone. It still needs to be maintained or it will fall apart. Weeds will start to creep back in. The enemy will start to creep back in.
Weeds. They've been sneaking back in. I haven't had my time with God like I so desire. I confess. I've sat down many times and my kids interrupt. They ask for this or that. They ultimately win. I need to be strong. I want that time. I need that time.
I finally carved some time out this morning and read Matthew. I sat and read of Jesus in His final days here on earth. Read about his death and resurrection. He gave so much for me. A broken sinner. A woman who lets weeds creep back in. A woman who allows other things to come between her and her God. He loves me. He desires me. He gave His life for me. It is humbling. It brings tears to my eyes. It brings me to my knees. I can't coast. I need God. I can't just sit back and be proud of what I've accomplished. It doesn't matter. My hard work is not what saves me. It is my God. It is by His grace and His alone.
"But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."
Ephesians 2:4-10
Ephesians 2:4-10
I'm so thankful that He loves me. That He would die for me. So thankful that time and time again, He gives me another chance. That He never stops pursuing me. I'm so thankful for this day. For time to reflect on His life and death. For time to spend with my family. To teach my children about Christ's love for us. To teach them of His sacrifice.
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
Romans 5:8
"For God so loved the world, that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him, shall not perish but have eternal life."
John 3:16
Romans 5:8
"For God so loved the world, that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him, shall not perish but have eternal life."
John 3:16
6 comments:
Are you peeking in my windows? Just this evening I was struggling with finding time with Him. Spring break = kids being up later, so I haven't had as much of my quiet time as I would like. They interrupt and yes they win.
And my yard and I have a date tomorrow!
Pray that God will carve out time for you and Him and He will provide.
This is an AWESOME post. I, too, am wondering if you have been "reading my mail." This definitely hits close to home!
Thank you so much for sharing what's on your heart.
Blessings...
Beth E.
Loved it - so timely with the Spring weather and blooms popping up - I also loved your description of "your Lord" - you can see in your writing how much you love spending time with him - like a friend only more - it is heartwarming and I appreciate your writing... I too need to be more disciplined to not just weed it one time but keep at it to keep it beautiful... it's work... but as you said, worth it!
When we had 2 acres of yard to take care of staying ontop of the weeding was such a chore... I always knew that I had weeded to much because when I would close my eyes I would still see weeds. I like your parallel between weeding the yard and the weeds of our life creeping in. Thanks for sharing!
There you go encouraging me again....thank you!
I don't do yard work. I should but...I don't. lol
Thanks for the reminder and the encouragement. =)
Post a Comment