Thursday, February 26, 2009

The View

I've been thinking a lot about the view lately. The view that God has... thinking about the big picture. Thinking about what it is in my life that is God, me, or Satan.

I've been feeling overwhelmed for what seems like months now. Overwhelmed with life. Overwhelmed with life with 5 healthy kids. Extremely overwhelmed with life with 5 sick kids. Overwhelmed with commitments. Just plain overwhelmed.

The alarm went off at a very choice moment this morning. I was having a terrible dream and was screaming at someone from church. Screaming because more was wanted of me and I had nothing left to give. Wow... In life outside my dream, this woman is a very nice lady. I would never scream at her, nor would I ever want to scream at her. But, my dream sure got me thinking...

I often wonder, WHY things happen. I'm one to believe that things do not happen by chance. That there is a purpose to everything... Whether God is behind it or not is what I wonder. We've all been sick for what seems like forever. I've had sick kids when I've offered to help friends with their kids. I've had to cancel. I wonder, are my sick kids God's way of telling me to slow down? Or is it the opposite? Is the enemy preying on my family. Keeping us from fulfilling our purpose. Is he causing me to feel so overwhelmed. Or is life just crazy and he's preying on that?

It seems that as I ask my friends how they are doing, they too, are VERY overwhelmed. I feel like many of us are starting to retreat from our lives. From things that we would normally love. Just because we are tired. We are done. I know for me, I would like to curl up in a ball and hibernate for awhile...

The thing is, wherever all this is coming from, I can choose which way I will allow it to take me. I get to choose to either curl up in that ball, or reach out to my friends who seem to be struggling through the same feelings. Wouldn't the enemy love for us all to curl up in balls? To disconnect? To isolate? I can just see him, grinning, rubbing his hands together, laughing an evil laugh...

As hard as it is to step out right now, I do feel like it is incredibly important. Even if it is just coffee and play dates with friends. Or a girls night. We all need a little recharging and I'm really starting to realize just how important that is. Not only for myself, but for my husband, my children, and for the commitments I've already made.

I get excited when I think about what God sees. That He gets to see it ALL. I wish I could see it all, but I'm sure that would REALLY overwhelm me. So, I'll take it, one day at a time. Trying to be conscious of all my decisions. Trying to keep my eyes on God.

When I pray with my kids at night, I often end it by praying that tomorrow will be a good day and that we will be able to make God smile. I pray that as I try to uncurl from this ball, that I would be able to make God smile. That my choices would be pleasing to Him. That His view of my life would be beautiful and glorifying to Him. And yet again, I'm so thankful for God's love, grace and mercy. And so very thankful that He trusts me enough to bless me with all that is on my plate. I love you Lord!

4 comments:

Beth E. said...

You are right on the mark with this...a great post!

It IS okay to say "no" to things. Even when they are good things. I was definitely feeling very overwhelmed when I was a young mother...caring for the boys, working, taking care of an aunt with Alzheimer's, and involved in many good, church-related activities. God spoke to me very clearly one day that he had a call on my life to be a wife and mother (and niece)...first and foremost.

The enemy comes ONLY to steal, kill, and destroy (see John 10:10). One of the things he steals is our attention...our attention and focus on God and the relationship we have with HIM, and HIS direction and calling for our lives.

I had to give up some things I really enjoyed for awhile, but God shared with me that for this season my focus needed to be on hubby and the boys. And you know what? We have had to carefully guard our family time at home, even today. It is so very easy for us all to be pulled in many different directions, but so important to come together as a family unit. Our home is a haven, a safe place, a peaceful place. A place for us to come together in love and support for each other. A place to worship the Lord together. The enemy would love nothing more than to destroy that, too!

After God revealed this to me, it became much easier to say "no" to certain things, especially if I knew it would take away from my attention to my family or our time together.

Please don't get me wrong...I'm not saying we should always say no to things or isolate ourselves. I'm saying we have to pray for God to show us the things we should do and the things we should let go. He has done that for me...he'll do it for you, too!

Blessings to you and your precious family. I'm praying for all of you!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

oh sweet mere!!!! you know what? there are seasons...and you are definitely in the midst of one. toss sickness and winter into the mix and all the sudden, satan starts to pick pick pick. you know you are fab...you are more precious than gold and silver...and even better, you are a god fearing mother that has way more stinking power than that bc jesus is your power! wooo hooo!

you are awesome...and a girls night is deg in order! go have some fun...i'm telling you, being with one another is healing and the way it's suppose to be!

Kelli said...

I think you are dead on...there are so many of us, me included, who are just feeling overwhelmed. I do think we are taking on too much as women and mothers, trying to stay in line with the world and God wants us to be in line with Him. We need each other durnig this time, you're right (why don't we live closer?). I'm getting together with moms tonight for just that, a refreshment and to help us focus on God's purpose...slowing down a bit. Being still and knowing He is God.
((())) Hugs from Ohio!

Dee said...

Cast you cares, and worries unto the Lord and He will set you free indeed!

All work and no play are not good combos! I've learned that in my short almost 40 years! I've also learned that I can't say "yes" to every good thing. Too many things are not a good thing! I'm constantly mearsuring my balance meter. And I'm a bit uneven on the F*U*N nights with friends! I NEED another scrapbook night!

Love you!