I was dead set against it. I don't really like to do things when they are "the" thing to do. I found so many other things to do BESIDES what I was SUPPOSED to be doing...
Cleaning the coffee pot inside and out. That meant running a couple of cycles of vinegar through. Scrubbing. Rinsing. Etc.
Washing my washing machine. Yep. Washing my washing machine. Inside and out. Scrubbing it with a toothbrush. I've NEVER done that!!
Scrubbing my shower. You heard me.
Wiping down the baseboards in the bathrooms.
Cleaning the inside of my microwave. Yep.
Cleaning every single dirty dish. And the counters.
Wiping down my fridge. Sounding desperate?
Showering.
This was all in one day. I'm. Not. Kidding. And no. I was NOT channeling Supermom. Nor was I doing anything that really deserved any sort of pat on the back. What was I doing you may ask?
Procrastinating.
Avoiding.
Neglecting.
All in a days work.
You see, my sweet 13 year old came to me on Wednesday. He said he had a persuasive argument for me. He asked if I would reconsider letting him read Twilight. He'd already asked before. I did a little research and decided that it was not appropriate. I gave him my reasons. One of which was the fact that from what my friends had said, it was not appropriate. We continued on in our conversation and finally I told him that I would read it. If I were to read it, give him my OWN opinion, would he respect that? If I were to read it and say no, would he respect that? He excitedly said yes... he brought the book home from school the very next day.
I must first state that I was very proud of him. He very easily could get his hands on that book. However, he knew my feelings. He respected me. He did not choose to sneak around and read the book. I let him know how very proud I was.
This weekend was the prime time to read. Cole was gone. Cory was gone. It was just me and the little ones. I had already decided that the house was going to be neglected all weekend. I don't have much energy when Cory is gone. I was already resigned to being a lump...
Friday came and went. That book sat neglected. Saturday morning I picked up the book. Sat down with it and my coffee and settled in... for about 5 minutes. I then proceeded to get up and proceed with the above list. I'm not kidding. I REALLY did not want to read that dumb book.
Saturday afternoon, there was nothing left. I had to do what I said I would. I read 4 chapters. I was not impressed. REALLY?? Is this what had so many of my friends so intrigued? I took a break and settled back in a little later. I was now hooked...
Like an addict, I couldn't wait to start reading this morning. Page after page. I couldn't put it down. Only stopping to feed the children. Pausing to change diapers.
I picked Cole up at 3:30. I even had the book in the car in case I had to sit and wait. He asked if I had read any of it. His mouth dropped open when I said, "yes, I'm on page 405." It took a lot of convincing, but he finally believed me. I went on to talk about the book with him. He shook his head. Multiple times. Laughing at me.
We got home. I parked the kids in front of a movie. I proceeded to finish that dumb book. My heart was racing. I was on the edge of my seat. I feel like a drug addict waiting for my next fix. I NEED to get my hands on that next book! What happens next?? Okay, need is a bit ridiculous. But, SERIOUSLY!! I'm hooked. I get it. I'm still a little disturbed by the fact that it's about vampires, but apparently that's not REALLY holding me back.
Cole and I sat and chatted. I told him he could read the first one IF and only IF he was okay with me saying he could not read another... IF that is what I decide. We are taking it book by book. I like that we are doing together. That we can talk about it. That I know he will respect my decision should I choose to make him pause until he is a little older.
I like that he is so excited about it. I know that I won't always be able to make him that excited. I know that he will be told "no" many times. I know that he will not always agree with my decisions. But, for now, I'm loving this little thing we have connecting us. This little thing that makes him laugh at me lovingly. This little thing.
And oh that dumb book. That silly little dumb book. Seriously. Why did it have to be so good?
11 comments:
ha ha! I'm LOL right now, in between rounds of my big boy barfing.
DO NOT let me read that. I can't afford to neglect my adoption books that I'm supposed to be reading right now!
I am totally LOL, too! I was sort of waiting to hear from you that it turned out to be completely addicting. Everyone I know that's read it has loved it and said the same thing. A friend lent me the book a couple of weeks ago and I have had a hard time starting it, just not sure I would like it, and not wanting to sit and spend my time reading. Hmmm...I might rethink that...
Very cute post for your mom by the way! I loved watching Caden "sing" to your mom :-)
Way to go MOM!
I read it. I didn't even get into it until about 2/3 of the way through. I have no desire to go on with another one.
I know one girl who chose to quit reading half way through the LAST book. She decided the vampires were making really bad choices and she didn't think she should be reading it. Interesting.
As I was reading it, I wondered if I'd let my child read it. Of course it would just depend, on the age, and the child.
I think you did some awesome parenting this weekend!
I have not read them but hear how great they are. I have a 11 year old so he has not really asked about reading these books. However, if he does I love the way you handle it.
O.k., I'm super tempted to get me a copy of the book too. It's all anyone is talking about these days! I can't do it, though. I dawdle enough as it is! The last thing I need is something else to take the place of housework!
ok--I am so sorry to have deleted my comment--but I realized after I posted it that i had actually revealed a pretty major plot line--can we say SPOILER?!!! anyway--I was just wanting to say that I think it is great how involved you are with his reading materials...
and (without spoiling anything) will say that the 4th book is definitely the one to beware of in regards to a sexual level that may be beyond a 13 year old.
Good for you! My hubby always tells me to choose my battles with our boys. I think it's great that you are reading the book, and have worked out a compromise with your son.
Way to go...you deserve a pat on the back! :o)
i didn't get into the first one until more than half way through too. Then I got hooked, and now I'm having trouble getting through the second. ??? Tells me they really aren't that good. Not at the top of my 'fav' books list but they are a fun escape.
Well, I have books two and three that were just returned to me today............and I can honestly tell you that they are skimmers. They really only need skimmed to follow the story line.
I would be happy to get them to you, if you want.
I'm proud of you for meeting your boy where he needed to be met! You are a fabulous mom!
Wow, You are changing the image I have of you, you are SUPER mom! heheeh :0)
You so know that I love to tease ya!
Awesome job on previewing the material first. Not the easy route, but the fruit is your reward!
Post a Comment