Thursday, February 12, 2009

Holding On

It's been a stinker of a day... and it's only 1:00. I thought of my bloggy friend, Megan, last night as I got up with Ella puking twice and Brenton crying once. I thought of her because all she wants is children. She's been trying for 6 years. She would take getting up three times a night. It would be such a blessing. It IS a blessing. It really is. I could have an empty, quiet house. I am thankful for what I have. Really.

But, today? Today has been hard. It started okay. Kids off to school. Coffee poured. As I headed up the stairs, I saw Ella at the top. She had just woken up. I said, "be careful, there's coffee in my hands". I then went to hug her carefully. To wrap her in my arms. Apparently, Jackson, although he was right beside me, did NOT hear me say, "be careful". He darted around me. Trying to run off with his brother's bear. He ran right into my full cup of coffee.

Coffee was on the wall, the closet, the little table at the top of the stairs. It was on the stairs and there was a nice huge spot where the majority had landed. I was frustrated, but honestly? I was praising the Lord that when we picked the color of our carpet, we picked cigar leaf. It's beautifully brown and although the carpet was soaked, you couldn't see one drop of coffee. Hallelujah!!

We had a fairly peaceful hour and then I hear screaming from downstairs. My sweet Ella had just puked all over the couch, the floor and proceeded to throw up as she ran to the bathroom. Managing to get it on two place of carpet and all over the bathroom floor. As this is happening, Brenton is screaming at the top of his lungs because I ran away from him. He continued screaming until I said, "seriously. You need to stop. Your sister just puked." To which he replied, "Ella puked?" All crying was done... for now.

On top of the coffee and puking, Jackson and Brenton have been whiny and crabby as ever. It's been a great day.

I'm so thankful to have gotten a little laugh from my mom. While telling her of the coffee, she said, "well, at least you know that if you get really desperate, you can just throw some water on the coffee spot and start sucking."

I didn't get it at first. Then I realized and pictured. Me. At the top of the stairs. Needing a little pick me up. Sucking on the coffee flavored carpet. Just to get an ounce of energy. Thank you for the laugh Mom! I love you!

Taking deep breaths. Going to be praying a lot. Thankful that I have God. Amazed that He trusted me with all this. Thankful that He trusted me with all this. Praying that I will love like Him. Praying that I will have grace like Him. Praying for Him to get me through this coffee and puke covered day. And knowing, without a shadow of a doubt, that even though it's hard. Even though it's crazy. I'll take it. I'll love it. Just needed to remind myself...

13 comments:

meleea said...

oh meredith! so sorry to hear about your day...praying for an extra measure of grace for you today!

Cass said...

OOOOOOHHHHHHH!!! What a day, Mere! I will say extra prayers for you today! I know those sick days are harder than most & never come at good times! Hope it get's better!

Dee said...

OOOOOh! Poor muffins!
Sorry to hear about sick kiddos.
Hang in there baby!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Days like this can be very trying. I understand what you are feeling. I hope your daughter is feeling better soon!!

Beth E. said...

Oh, your mom is a hoot! I got a good laugh over that one!

I guess it's inevitable that we mom's have to deal with puke at some point during our child-rearing years. It's never easy, though, is it? Not one bit!

Praying for your daughter to feel better, and praying for protection for the rest of your family.

PRAISING GOD that no one got burned by the hot coffee. :o)

Audrey said...

Praying for you and Ella!

Eryn said...

Hey couch twin, aren't you happy that you have the nice washable couch to match your cigar leaf carpet? Bet you'll think twice before desperately sucking on the carpet in the pathway to your bathroom! :0) sorry, that was gross.

Hope the little lady is feeling better tonight!

Megan said...

OMGoodness! What a day you had. (((HUGE HUGS)))

I'm totally cracking up at your mom's comment though. I can just picture it now. heehee

I hope tomorrow is a better day with kidlets that are feeling a whole lot better.

Kelli said...

I'm sorry but I laughed out loud at your mom's comment, picturing you. It is hard to be thankful in those hard moments...I have those too. Hang in there!
Hugs.

Lee Ann said...

Oh Meredith. Praying for a better day for you today.

And uummmmm....not to change the subject....but can I get the name of that carpet again? ;-)

Julie D. said...

oh my goodness, mere. that is awful. i'm so sorry, but I was totally cracking up over the sucking on the carpet thing! that was awesome!

Kelli said...

Ding dong, ding dong...wanna come out a play along? You've been tagged! Come on over and check out "What's in your bag?"

Cass said...

Hope things are going better this week! I have something that should make you smile...come see on my newest blog post!