And you all know how I feel about that!
______________________________________________________________________
While getting dressed the other day...
E: Mom, why don't my (points to her chest) look like yours???
Me: Because.
E: MOM, why don't my (points again) look like YOURS????
Me: Because, honey, you are a little girl. Yours will look like mine someday... after you have lots of kids.
____________________________________________________________________
We headed to the party store yesterday so Ella could pick what kind of birthday she wanted. She chose Tinkerbell. She's loving Tink after watching her over and over again this weekend. While driving home...
E: Mom, I think Tink has boobs.
Me: What??
E: I think Tink has boobs.
Me: Well, I'm sure she does. She is a girl after all.
E: Laughing hysterically... See LOOK!!
Me: Yes, honey. She IS a girl...
E: Continues to laugh hysterically...
Realization:
I REALLY do NOT like having these conversations! WHY do I have to have these conversations??? I never know if I should say more? Say less? My word, they are only body parts after all. I just don't understand why she is the only one who seems to have to talk about them. When she was 2, she'd announce to anyone who would listen, and even those who weren't that she had a "bagina". Is this just a girl thing? Or just MY girl's thing?
____________________________________________________________________
While eating out on Friday night with a friend and her sweet boy...
Me: Ella, guess what we're going to do when we get home?!?
Ella: Clean the house?!?
Me and Friend: Laughing hysterically...
Me: No honey, I was thinking we'd watch a movie, snuggle and eat popcorn...
Realization:
Watching Ella as she made that statement SO excitedly was hilarious. She was SO sure she was right and was SO proud. Sweet girl. Do I really talk about cleaning the house THAT much?? Sorry baby...
____________________________________________________________________
A Blazer game was on recently...
Cory: Ella, who's that??
Ella: B Rizzle (our affectionate name for Brandon Roy)
Cory: Good job baby!!
Me: Ella who's this?? (Pointing at a picture of President Obama in the newspaper)
Ella: B Rizzle!!
Me: Point made...
____________________________________________________________________
While snuggling Brenton and watching Obama's news conference yesterday...
B: Mama, look, B Rizzle!!!
Me: Jack, go get your Daddy. He has to hear this!
Me: B, tell Daddy what you just said. Who's on T.V?
B: B Rizzle!!
Realization:
Our poor kids. There was an article in the paper recently that said our area really has very little diversity. Since living here is really all I've known, that seemed crazy to me. Yet, when I look around, I get it. There really is not much diversity. I don't really want my kids to go around thinking that B Rizzle and Obama are one in the same. They so aren't! I'm hoping that in saying these things I'm not coming across wrong. I'm just wondering out loud. Wondering how to teach my kids... any ideas??
____________________________________________________________________
While praying with Ella the other night...
Ella: Dear Jesus, thank you for everything. Please get out of Heaven safely. Amen.
____________________________________________________________________
While sitting at the dinner table last night...
Me: B, you got a kiss for me?
Brenton: Leans over to give me a sweet kiss. Then suddenly pulls away.
Cory: Laughs hysterically thinking Brent pulled a fast one on me.
B: Takes his napkin, wipes his mouth off, leans on over and gives me a sweet kiss.
Me: That's my boy!! Thanks baby for the sweetness!
Realization:
I have THE most amazing kids in the world! They challenge me, they stretch my brain, they love me. I am so incredibly blessed!
11 comments:
Oh Mere! Those are all so good. That's the best part of blogging. It's such an easy way to journal things you will one day forget, but look back on and cherish each one of those funny/sweet moments.
I'm laughing at this post, especially the B Rizzle part. They will learn about diversity over time. Just the fact that you're exposing them is good. The boob story made me laugh too because my daughter and I have the same kind of conversation!
I'm so glad that I finally understand the B Rizzle story from our conversation earlier! Darn those Bluetooth thingys! They are impeding our phone conversations while in the car!
Ahhhhh, you got a bloggy makeover! Loving it! =D
I'm totally cracking up at your kidlets. They are just too funny / cute for words!
(and yeah, I woke up to snow yesterday and today and thought "what the HECK?!?!" Just glad it's not very much - not even on the ground now - and that I don't *have* to drive in it if it gets bad! LOL)
love those stories, mere. I too worry about the diversity thing. I grew up in LA and diversity was the norm. I came up here and felt like I was in a huge white bubble. I'm not sure how to handle that with our kids.
Didn't your sons talk about body parts, too? That's ALL my sons seemed to talk about when they were little! The difference is, girls grow out of it...guys never seem to do so! LOL
This is a great post. Your kiddos are so sweet and funny.
Blessings...
Beth E.
All of your little tidbits are precious. Conversations with kids are the best.
Loving your conversations with your kids.
Really most kids only want a little info. It usually satisfies them.
Hey, I thought you loved the snow. :0) Have you had enough of it my dear!
Oh, my friend. I am laughing my face off right now. Thanks for the giggles.
I have laughed all weekend about E at Burgerville and her house cleaning announcement! My son will be pleased, she'll make a great wife! :)
I too worry about the diversity business. I guess your kiddos can call my daugther B Rizzle too :)
So so sweet! Your kids are so cute. I wouldn't worry about the diversity thing...they'll come to understand that when they are a little older. You're an awesome mom!
You teach your kids amazing things in amazing ways. I'm sure they'll learn about diversity and how to love how creative and amazingly artistic God is in everything he made - nature, space, people, feelings, etc... Payton just started learning about it. We have done google searches on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., discussed what makes Payton different than ____ (insert friend's name here), then discussed how they are the same. We pray to thank God for how unique he makes everyone, and to ask him to help us appreciate how different we all are. We also do google searches and look at books about different countries and cultures. He now has his own atlas. I just truthfully tell him that people are made in different colors, sizes, shapes and personalities - and we need to love how God made them.
But that's not really what I wanted to comment to say. Just a rabbit trail. I wanted to say, thank you for making me smile today by posting all these sweet conversations. I like to smile. I love you. I love your kiddos.
Post a Comment