Saturday, October 3, 2009

Three

Three. I can't believe it! Three. Where has the time gone?

Three. I watched you go running to your Daddy's truck this morning. So excited to get to ride in his truck. So excited to get to go get donuts with Daddy all by yourself. Running. Glowing. Skinny little legs. No more diaper bum. Looking more like a boy than a baby.

Three. Only now as I sit here are there tears in my eyes. So different than last year. I have LOVED watching you grow this year. You make us laugh more often than not. Truly. Even amidst so many frustrations, we often have to stifle our laughter. And other times, when that's not even possible, we have to tell you that it's still not okay even though we are laughing.

Three. Your smile is contagious. Your love pours out. When you reach for my hand with your chubby little fingers I cannot help but smile. My heart warms. You are a constant reminder to me of God's love. You have taught me so very much.

I was reading through my journal this morning and came upon this...

February 4, 2006

I started feeling pretty icky this week. At the beginning of the week I was just a little nauseous and by the end of the week it had hit me completely. I'm so tired and nauseous much of the time. But, at least, now I know you must be okay in there. I also know this is all so worth it. When I feel you move for the first time and every time thereafter it will be so worth it. When I hear your sweet heart beating, it will be worth it. When I get to see you on the ultrasound it will be worth it. And when I get to hold you in my arms for the first time and every time thereafter, it will be forgotten...

My son. My baby. I can't even remember. You have completely erased any memory of sickness. Of fatigue. Of discomfort. You are an amazing blessing.

You have gone from baby to boy so quickly and have grown even more just in the last month. I have loved our time alone while all the kids are at school. I cherish our trips to the park. Our car rides full of questions and great conversations. I have loved seeing another side of you. You aren't striving for my attention. You aren't fighting for your place. You soak it all up.

I have loved watching you with your sister and brothers lately. You are starting to get it. Starting to understand that you don't need to fight for their attention. That they love to play with you when you aren't hitting them with toys or throwing their pokemon cards... of course, that doesn't always stop you. If fact, just last night I overheard,

"Brenton, why did you throw my cards???"

"You should have caught them!!!"

Oh sweet boy.

Our latest adventure has been getting on the potty train as you like to call it. You have proved to be easier than expected and even you seem to be excited to be done with diapers... now anyway!

I love you my sweet baby. I pray that you would continue to love others as you do. I pray your smile continues to glow. I pray that we are able to raise you without squashing your exuberant personality.

Thank you Lord for the blessing of another year with Brenton. Thank you for knowing that he is exactly what our family needs. Thank you for his laughter. Thank you for using him to remind me how much you love me. How you love to hold my hand. And snuggle. And listen. I love you Lord!

10 comments:

Lee Ann said...

That's awesome Meredith. I REALLY hope you move closer so I can get to know that boy (and the others)more!

Amy said...

Your posts to your kids on their birthdays always amaze me. You have such a way of expressing your love for them and depicting their personalities. Makes me wish you were my mom :-)

Kelli said...

Very sweet post. He sounds like adorable gift from God. Keep enjoying him.

Beth E. said...

What a precious tribute to your son...happy birthday, Brenton!

I love the pics. He sure is a little cutie! :-)

Beth E. said...

What a precious tribute to your son...happy birthday, Brenton!

I love the pics. He sure is a little cutie! :-)

Julie D. said...

happy birthday to your sweet boy! I love all your pictures that depict his personality! So cute!

Audrey said...

Happy Birthday Brenton! Love the post and the pictures!

Eryn said...

If YOUR baby is three, then that means MY baby is almost there. How'd that HAPPEN? I remember you coming to visit me in the hospital with your sweet new baby, like last week. Where has the time gone? Your boy is so much fun...love you both! E

Michelle P said...

So cute! He is such a sweetie!

Trish said...

Meredith, you made me cry AGAIN!!

Oh how I love how you love each of your children so differently, yet all the same. You are an amazing mom.

He is such a wonderful little boy.

Happy Birthday Brenton!!