There have been times in Jackson's life where we have actually wondered if we're going to be able to raise him without breaking his spirit. He is tenacious to say the least. He likes things his way. He STILL throws fits.
We get frustrated. We pray for A LOT of wisdom. We are often at a loss.
But, today. Today, holy cow. Today, I met with his teacher. And what I heard made my heart swell. Truly, I have no words to even describe how my heart feels right now...
Aside from being one of her favorite students. Aside from the fact that he is learning quickly and doing so well. Aside from the fact that he does, in fact, stay on task while at school. Aside from all this, there was something that I simply was not prepared to hear.
There is a little boy in Jackson's class that has special needs. And apparently, with no one saying a word, Jackson took it upon himself to help this little boy the very 1st week of school. He helps him around the classroom. He opens his thermos for him at lunch time. He is there. While the little boy is capable of talking, he often does not, however, he does say Jackson's name. Jackson has talked about this boy. When we have gotten "happy" notes sent home from the teacher she has said that he has helped other students in class. Jackson has told us who he helps and that he is his friend.
I am so thankful to have a son that saw the needs of another. That he has done this all on his own. That he is so loving and caring towards his classmates and friends. I am so thankful that for all the head scratching, frustrating times, that I know, my sweet boy's spirit is still alive and well. That I have NOTHING to worry about. God has knit Jackson together perfectly and He will continue to guide us in raising him. We will continue to pray for wisdom. There is still a long road ahead. But, for now, I'm so thankful to see that the foundation that is starting to set is a good one.
Lord, thank you for this glimpse!
8 comments:
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
Matthew 25:40
Yeah for Jackson!
That melts my heart.
That does make your heart swell!
As a mom of a special needs child (on the autism spectrum), one who rarely speaks at school and requires the assistance of a full time teacher's aide... as a mom of a little girl who, until this year, had no friends... this post gives my heart a much needed hug.
I pray that my daughter finds a rainbow in the storm like this boy found Jackson. It makes all the difference. Just in case that boy's mom doesn't have the chance to thank Jackson, or to thank you for raising him to be such a fine young man... THANK YOU, on her behalf.
what a sweet boy. I've had almost a month of catching up to do on your blog. All great stuff, meredith. So excited for you and your new house! Praise God for all His blessings in your life!
So very awesome! See the things God gives you! I just read the post about you being worried about a new school and then this. Awesome. He gave Jackson this boy and this opportunity at the new school. So great!
He is a sweet sweet boy!
what a treasure!
Mere,
I just read this and it has truly blessed me! What a loving heart Jackson has. :-)
Post a Comment