Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Life

Jackson, Ella, Brenton and I were blessed to arrive at Daddy's work yesterday just as he was breeding some of the alpaca's. I wasn't sure that I wanted my kids to see this, but decided that, it is life. After all, they've seen the Mayflies making babies all over the place!

Jackson got to help Daddy get the girls in with the boys. He LOVES to help Daddy. Loves. It. He glows. He grins from ear to ear. Our children are absolutely in love with the alpacas and horses at Daddy's work.

A little later, we were looking at some of the new babies and I glanced out to the field that has the VERY expectant mama's. There, almost hidden in the tall grass, was a brand new little baby. It had just been born.


Cory took the kids and I out to the field where we got to see this sweet little girl. Oh my word! What a beautiful little girl. What a blessing to be there at that moment. We got to see her take her first steps and then we started herding them into the barn.

I was a bit concerned as the mama kept making an odd noise. I asked Cory if it was because she didn't like us being around or if she was still in pain. The answer? A bit of both. As we got into the barn that mama REALLY started laboring again. And as we all watched, she started to pass her placenta. The kids, of course, had lots of questions. "What's that bubble coming out of her bottom??" "Why is it getting bigger?" I loved being able to explain about the placenta and what it does. I loved our little science lesson.

Even better?? When the other guy who works at the ranch came down we all excitedly told him that a baby was just born. And Brenton's first words to him? "The mama just passed her placenta!!" Yep. My sweet 2 year old said, "placenta". I still get a giggle out of it. I just LOVE it!


I'm so thankful that my husband has a job that he loves. I'm so thankful that he gets to work with animals. I'm so thankful that my children have such a love for these animals too. I'm so thankful that we get to teach them about life. That they get to see babies made and babies born. And on the sad days, they even learn about a baby dying. Cory's job is such a blessing in so many ways.

I'm so thankful that God created these animals. He has such a wonderful imagination. My family is absolutely smitten with these beautiful creatures.

Thank you Lord for your amazing creations!

11 comments:

Amy said...

Tripp and I were just talking about Cory and his job and how much he loves it. Hard to believe that he was almost going to run his own restaurant and worked in a bank! Now he's up to his ankles in mud and loving it! God is good!

Kelli said...

What an amazing experience! That is wonderful that Cory is doing something that he loves, not many can say that. And he's able to teach his children in the process. Wonderful!

Beth E. said...

I'm so glad you included pictures, because I had no idea what an alpaca was...until NOW.

Those are great pictures...I'm sure your children were beside themselves with excitement!

Thanks...you've 'edu-ma-cated' me today! ;-)

Tamara said...

Beautiful pictures and how great that you were able to teach your kids the miracle of birth and how God nourished the sweet little alpaca inside her mama's tummy! Love it!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

So cute, and what a touching story!

http://countrycitymouse-pam.blogspot.com/2009/06/canadian-etsy-giveaway-3.html
Drop by and enter to win!

Dee said...

Can't believe your guy said "placenta" All my little guy likes to say right now is "Poop" and "hey dude!"

What a fun family time at Dad's work! We had a day like that together with Alex. It was fun.

Trish said...

fun! that little baby is sooo cute!

and what I would give to hear your baby say 'placenta' !!

Kelli said...

that's so funny...Brandon said the other day to daddy...'Look at His big utter!' he was referring to our little boy goats large sack that was beginning to form...oh to new conversations! :)

niccole w. said...

Okay, a PG-13 comment coming. I totally mis-read the second paragraph and thought it said Jackson got to help his dad get the girls onto the boys penis... I was thinking "wow, now that's interesting and a bit odd."

Amy said...

(Actually this is Tripp) Why are you not concerned that Cory is messing around with alpacas?...oh wait, the alpacas were breeding with eachother. I get it now. phew!!!

Meredith said...

There you go Nicci, I changed my wording so no one else will get confused...

And Tripp, pull your head out of the gutter!