I was praising the Lord as I lay in bed this morning. Praising Him for my family. For my wonderful children. Praising Him for summertime. So excited for all my children to be home.
Then, I went downstairs...
Brenton's throwing a fit because he wants Mommy to get him milk, not Dad. Ella's throwing a fit because she wants to get me yogurt. Jack is sitting on the floor kicking his feet because he wants to get me yogurt too. Between the fighting and the screaming I was ready to bolt right on out the door. As I told Cory that I might just have to go to Jazzercise EVERYDAY this summer just to get some quiet, he so nicely reminded me...
"You wanted this."
And I did.
And I still do.
It will just take some adjusting on all our parts. I love that my kids want me. They want to serve me. They want to play with me. Someday, they'll want nothing to do with me.
It's just hard sometimes. I'm not so pretty in the morning. I like to not talk for a bit. I only use the few words that are needed to figure out what everyone wants for breakfast. I need a moment. I can be downright crabby. Add the fact that a certain someone was wanting to play Life before I even finished eating my breakfast and oh my goodness. It took every ounce of me to control my irritation and just say, "how about a little later."
It's not their fault that I'm crabby. Well, mostly. I do feel a bit like a play toy though. Just here for their fun and enjoyment. I remember when they were here for mine... To stare at and smile at. To sing to and snuggle. All that was required from me was to change diapers and feed them. Such sweetness...
Yesterday was a great beginning. Filled with a trip to the ranch. The brushing of horses. The petting of alpaca's. Delicious dinner. Brownies for dessert. Blowing bubbles. Playing outside. Beautiful sunshine. It was fantastic. I know the rest of the summer will be too.
And now, as we've all calmed down a bit and I've finished my first cup of coffee, my head is ready to go. Ready to enjoy what the Lord has for us. I know it will be good...
6 comments:
I so totally relate to your post! My Mom said the same thing to me this morning - You Wanted This. I did and I do . . . However, there are times that you are simply overwhelmed and unless the other person is standing in your shoes, they cannot possibly understand.
I love that you took the kids on a "field trip!" We need to find some alpaca's to go visit!
Oh Meredith can I relate! I am not a morning person. At all! My mother however was. She got up hours before us and excercised and/or cleaned the house. After I had kids I wondered what was wrong with me. I guess I figured that being a morning person came with age and maturity. That somehow I would miraculously be able to jump out of the bed in the morning and go, just because I was older, married, and had kids. When in fact the opposite happened! There are days that I am still so tired in the morning I just want to throw the covers back over my head and tune the world out. It took me many years of feeling guilty to realize that this is just who I am. Not everyone is a morning person. I am definitely not one of them!
Girl, that first cup of coffee can make all the difference in the WORLD! Haha
My hubby used to remind our boys when they were little, "Let Mom have her coffee, first, before you ask her to do anything!" Wise words, indeed! ;-)
I think you just spoke for every mother out there! So, so true.
I even go for a walk every morning at 6. You'd think that would be enough. But, if I walk in the door to kids who are awake and demanding, it just ruins the whole thing! I do try to keep banana bread on the counter...just to give them a slice until I can get breakfast.
And remember.....we wanted this!
It's hard not to get wrapped up in those moments and get crabby, but the bigger picture is where the joy truly is. Enjoy Summer!
Oh, how I can relate to this post. I too can be crabby in the morning. Actually the evening too. I must be an "afternoon person". lol
The toughest part for me is just trying not to snap at them when it's not their fault I'm grumpy.
Post a Comment