Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Fearful Caden

What a perfect weekend we had. Absolutely perfect! I went into it wanting to savor every moment. Knowing that it was our last weekend with just our family until May. Yes. May. And yes. I do know that it is only March.

I had the incredible pleasure of getting a date with Caden on Saturday. He had come home at the beginning of the month. Tore open his backpack. And pulled out a piece of paper that talked about a Mother/Son activity that was to be at his school on the 21st. Caden doesn't get excited about much so I knew that this was important to him. We would make sure it happened.

He counted down to it all last week. And me, being the wonderful mom that I am, always pretended that I had no clue what he was talking about...

We left with plenty of time to run to Target before the big event. It was so much fun. Yes, fun. Being able to peruse the aisles with just my sweet Caden. Holding his hand as we walked in and out of the store. I savored every minute.

When we arrived at the school, I had no idea what to expect. They had dubbed the event as "Fear Factor" fun. We walked in, gave them our names, Caden was handed a t-shirt and I, a rubberband... uh oh. I had just washed my hair!

Our first event? To pick our poison. We got to pick from 3 "juices". We picked the most innocent sounding "poison" and hammered it down... juice of some kind, corn, green beans and who knows what else was all mixed together. Tasty.

We then moved on the the pudding feed. I had to wear a sleep mask and feed Caden chocolate pudding while blindfolded... all while racing other mom's and trying to get done first. We laughed the whole way through as I got awfully close to putting it up his nose. Several times.

Next up was "doggy doody". Not sure of all the ingredients and blaming my lack of participation on my wheat allergy, I got to sit back and enjoy. Caden had to fish tootsie rolls out of some chocolate pudding concoction with his mouth. What a riot!

From there, we went to watch the reptile show. It was fascinating and frightening all at the same time. We met...

Joanna the iguana...
A barking chameleon... Did you know they barked??


A king cobra...

An African Gaboon Viper... Seriously.


And a slew of other characters. After we had sufficiently peed our pants, we moved on to tamer activities.

BINGO!

And since neither of us won anything, we made silly faces and moved on...


We then got to race to dig the gummy worm out and eaten... I won!


After eating the tasty gummy worm, we then got to dig through the REAL worms to find a fake one. Thankfully, we got to use our hands on this one... NOT our teeth!



Our final activity was the football obstacle course. It was a bit rainy. A lot muddy. And I was wearing my brown boots. Not so conducive to running in mud. What's a mom to do?? Strip of her shoes and socks, roll her pants up and have at it. Yum. Loved the mud squishing between my toes.

Every single second of it was fun. Every single second was cherished. He was glowing. I was glowing. What a gift. We really have to do that more often!

Caden had his choir concert on Thursday night and while he didn't look so thrilled when he was up on the bleachers, he did say he enjoyed it. He asked me on Saturday what my favorite song was. It just so happened, that when I told him, his face lit up. It was his favorite too. Here he is singing it for me...



What a blessing this boy is. An absolute blessing. He melts my heart. He makes me smile. He still lets me hold his hand... Praising the Lord for him. Praising the Lord for dates with my baby. Praising the Lord for the little things. Love you Lord!

9 comments:

Julie D. said...

oh my gosh, what a cool day. i'm jealous. I hope connor's school does that some day...or I'm just going to have to create it myself!! ooooh, maybe a bday party idea. love it. So glad you had a great weekend.

Lee Ann said...

How fun is all of that?! So glad you got to do all of that with him and create those memories!

Amy said...

Love it! That looks like so much fun. I love that you took off your shoes and socks to run through the mud! Classic :-) Love hearing Caden sing too! And my last observation, your hair has gotten so long since I last saw you in December! You look pretty :-)

Beth E. said...

Okay, I could do the bingo and even feed pudding to my son blindfolded. I'm not sure about the doggy doody, and I doubt that I could stick my hands in real worms. Runny through the mud barefoot? I don't think so! Shew! You are one brave mama!!! I'm too old for this kind of stuff! LOL

I'm so glad you had a fun day together. That's what it's all about, eh?

Your son is a sweetheart. He totally melted my heart with his singing!!!

Hope the rest of your week is a great one. :o)

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

What a sweet day of making memories that will last a lifetime.

You are very blessed!

Kelli said...

What a fun day! That is sweet that you were able to get some one on one time.
Thanks for the story about Luke, he sounds like such a sweet kid. My prayers go out to Luke and his family.

Megan said...

You are an awesome mom! Sounds like it was a crazy, fun-filled day!

And the song is so adorable! =D

Audrey said...

How awesome, Mere! I love that you guys got to do all of that together. What a special thing!

Vee Vignettes said...

Precious! What sweet memories. This is what being a Mommy is all about. :)