Thursday, March 12, 2009

1995

It was my senior year. I was sitting in physics class. My friend and I started talking about God. I was a believer. He was not. After 2 days of conversation it came down to this question...

"So what you're saying is, that if I'm a good person, that if I don't believe in God and I don't have Jesus in my heart, that I'm going to hell?"

"Yes."

"I don't want to talk about it anymore."

I can remember our conversation clear as day. I was just a baby in my faith. My heart was pounding as I said yes. After the fact, I wondered why it even mattered to him. If he didn't believe in God, how could he believe in Heaven or hell? If he didn't believe in God, why would he want to be where God is?

That conversation, that rejection has shaped who I am. It has made me so fearful to step out. I've lived my life hoping that people would see God in my life. That His love and faithfulness would shine through. It's not that I don't talk about God and my faith... I just don't step out and try to lead them to Him.

As I spent the day, yesterday, praying for my friend and her friend, I started thinking about my faith. If I had to explain to someone why I believe what I believe, could I? If I had to break it down to the basics, could I? If I were in a position to lead someone to Christ, could I? And really, what am I afraid of?

Are my fears of rejection worse that my friends spending an eternity in hell? What do I have to lose? What do they?

Even to the biggest skeptics who would argue that God is made up. Who wonder how we can believe what we do. I'm left wondering, even if it were all made up. What do you have to lose??

I know without a shadow of a doubt that there is a God. I know without a shadow of a doubt that God loves me. I know without a shadow of a doubt that He created each of us. I know without a shadow of a doubt that He sent His son. To die. For our sins. That He loved us THAT much. I know without a shadow of a doubt that because I have asked Jesus to be my personal Lord and Savior that I will spend eternity in Heaven. I know that God has carried me more times than I can count. I know that I would never have made it through the last 3 years of constant trials without Him. I have seen miracles. I have heard God. He has spoken to me. He has shown me things. He has given me His word. The last 3 years have proven, without a shadow of a doubt, that God is HERE. There is no other explanation. He is HERE.

Even as I type this I wonder. Do I really publish this?? Do I really put it all out there?? God's answer is, "yes". Yes. I cannot allow myself to be stuck in an 18 year old mentality. I cannot allow the enemy to win that battle. So here I am. Putting it out there. If you want to talk to me about it, leave me your email and I'd love to chat.

7 comments:

Cass said...

As always Mere you make me look at myself & what I believe. Would I be willing to do the same? Would I be able to really explain what I believe? Yes, no, maybe? Thank you friend for always making me think!!!

Lee Ann said...

I pray daily that I would be bold, that my kids would be bold.

Way to be BOLD!

Jennifer said...

I really like when you said "..even if it were all made up. What do you have to lose??" That is so true.

Beth E. said...

Awesome post...I'm proud of you! :o)

Kelli said...

If someone were to ask you about your faith, yes you would be able to explain because God would give you the words. If He uses you to lead someone to Him, yes you'd be able to do that because He'll give you what to say. It's not us, it's Him. And, Satan is totally using that experience to put doubts or lies in your head. That is what we talked about in the retreat that I went to. Satan is watching and taking notes, so he's trying to work you. But remember that armor...it works every time!

Shannon said...

boldness is a struggle for many of us.

it's always crazy to me how such simple little conversations really can shape who we are. but they do.

just think how a new conversation could shape you from here on out...or how it could shape the other person.

way to be bold!

amy & lisa said...

I'm here from Momma needs a time out.
I just have to say I love your blog...so inspiring!!
As I read the paragraph that starts out with "I know without a shadow of a doubt..." I could really feel the words came from your heart. They were just SO meaningful. Thank you for sharing that and for encouraging us to be more about sharing the God.