Tuesday, September 15, 2009

See Ya!

I wasn't looking forward to this day. Truly. I wasn't quite ready to let her go. We've been together since she was born. 4 1/2 years. Can she really be old enough for preschool? My little buddy...

I wondered how she would do. Would she cry? Would she let me leave without a fight? I was a little nervous...

I knew she was excited. She would giggle with glee. Shine a bright smile. But was she really ready?

We arrived at school and I had to tell her to slow down...


We walked in the door, hung her bag in her cubby, took pictures and signed in. Then, it happened...

She gave me a hug, said "goodbye" and PUSHED me out the door!!! Yes. Pushed me out the door. With a little tear in my eye, I obliged and walked out the door. Sad to say goodbye and so very happy that she was ready to go. I love you my sweet girl and am so excited for your year at preschool!!

And then there was one...

One little boy who seemed to enjoy every second of alone time with his Mama. One little boy to have the sweetest conversations with. One little boy who when spotting a dog on the side of the road said, "Mama, that doggy is lost!" I asked him what he thought the doggy was doing... "Looking for his Mama!" Of course he is. Of course he would be. Isn't that what you do when you're lost? Look for your Mom?

A few minutes later...

"Mama, when do I get to go to preschool?"

"In 2 years sweetie."

"Will you stay there with me?"

"No, honey. I would drop you off just like Ella."

"But, then I would cry."

"Someday you won't cry anymore when I leave you. Ella used to cry and did you see how excited she was for me to leave? You won't always cry when I leave Bud."

Melt. My. Heart. I love that boy. I love that he loves to hold my hand while we drive in the car. I love that he still needs me. I even love that, right now, he cannot imagine what it would be like to not cry when I leave. I know that someday, he too, will push me out the door. But, right now, I'm going to savor every moment with my sweet baby... even if he is almost 3 and really isn't much of a baby anymore!

6 comments:

Kelli said...

She is so cute! I love that there were no tears and that she was excited! My Jamison ran off into school like that too.

Tamara said...

She looked ADORABLE on her first day of preschool - all smiles and a fresh clean face with perfectly combed hair - so so sweet. I'm happy that it was easy for her. I know just what you mean about savoring the moments... thanks for sharing...

Megan said...

So sweet. Both of them. Enjoy your time with your littlest munchkin.

Eryn said...

Oh! So sweet. She is so grown up, I can't believe it. And your, baby boy...how sweet! He's never had you all to himself! I bet he is loving it as much as you.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

ahhhhh...on so many fronts!!! seriously adorable. alone time is too precious...enjoy every second and i love his little "but i will cry". so cute!

Amy said...

I love your conversations with Brenton and your insight to his observation with the lost dog. You're such a good mama!

On another, totally pointless note, why does Ella get to wear flip flops to school?! The schools my kids have gone to have always said "no flip flops!" Even in AZ. Weird.