I went into the house and was glowing. My mom could tell that something was going on. She asked and I told her what had happened. To this day, our stories differ as to what was really said. But, the point remains the same. I was absolutely head over heals for this boy!
To hear Cory's sister talk about how we were when we first started dating is a bit hilarious. We were like white on rice. Stuck together. Always. Cory was so sweet. He was so romantic and on our 1 month anniversary, he surprised me with 1 red rose. On our 2 month, 2 roses. Three months, 3 roses... This continued for the entire year.
In February we went to our first dance together and that very next week, I came down with mono. My mom was scheduled to go out of town and even though we had not really been dating that long, Cory's mom, Pam, just could not bear to have me home with without a mom. She invited me to come stay at their house until my mom came back into town. She kicked Cory out of his bed and took such good care of me. She helped me walk to the bathroom. She made me chicken noodle soup. She even talked to me about sex. Yep. There I was, incredibly sick, laying on the couch and somehow the topic came up. She wasn't pushy. It wasn't weird. It just was. To this day, I love that we had that conversation. I love that she loved her son so much and wanted the absolute best for him. I love that she talked to me about the importance of waiting. I love that it wasn't awkward in the least. I just loved her!
The rest of the school year is such a blur. All wrapped up in Cory. We had so much fun together. He was constantly making me laugh. He was so good to me. I was falling in love.
I love that God's hand was so clearly evident in our relationship. We went from best friends to falling in love. Our eyes changed and we saw each other in such a different light. I know that God orchestrated all of that. What I love too, is that, without God, we would NEVER have made it through the next year...We fought like crazy our senior year. Seriously. It was absolutely ridiculous. His mom called us professional arguers. My mom would always take Cory's side and he said his mom always took mine. I'm truly amazed that through ALL those fights we never broke up. Even through the fighting, though, we still had so much fun together.


We were incredibly blessed to have an amazing group of friends. Friends who had the same values. Friends who had no interest in partying. Friends who were content to hang out on Friday and Saturday nights at Cory's house. Singing karaoke. Watching Saturday Night Live. Laughing our heads off.In April of our senior year, Cory, his cousin Chris and our friend Ryan surprised me and our friends Nicci and Lindsay with a fun night out. The guys had rented a limo and on our way out of town, they stopped to pick up Chinese food. We had no idea where we were going. No idea what to expect. A while later we pulled up to Multinomah Falls and had a picnic by the falls in the pouring down rain. The mood was not dampened and we had such a good time. After dinner, each of the couples took off on their own to walk around. As Cory and I were walking, he pointed out a rose that was on the ground in front of us. As we continued to walk there were more and more roses... leading us all the way back to the limo. When he opened the door, there was a huge bouquet of roses and a poem...
Roses are red, violets are blue
I want you to know I'll always be true.
Such a beautiful girl, what am I to do
My life's been wonderful since I met you.
Roses are long, and their stems are green
When I met you, you became my queen.
Our love is a fairytale, I'll never be blue
Just like the Old Lady who lived in a shoe.
I know it is late for Prom number two
But you knew all along, my date would be you.
When we go to Prom, they'll all turn to see
The beautiful lady that's there with me.
I know Calvin asked you, that I can see
But I'll dump Margret, If you'll go with me.
If you don't say YES, I'll go with my mom
So Meredith PLEASE,
CAN I TAKE YOU TO PROM?


Prom was fantastic and was followed by a moonlight dessert picnic along the river. The next morning, Cory picked me up bright and early and we headed back to Multinomah falls to hike to the top and have a picnic. Years later, Cory would admit that all his romantic gestures were not all of his own doing. He had a great friend who helped him through (thanks Ryan!). I don't mind that they weren't all his own ideas, I just loved that he cared so much and wanted to make so many moments so special.
I want you to know I'll always be true.
Such a beautiful girl, what am I to do
My life's been wonderful since I met you.
Roses are long, and their stems are green
When I met you, you became my queen.
Our love is a fairytale, I'll never be blue
Just like the Old Lady who lived in a shoe.
I know it is late for Prom number two
But you knew all along, my date would be you.
When we go to Prom, they'll all turn to see
The beautiful lady that's there with me.
I know Calvin asked you, that I can see
But I'll dump Margret, If you'll go with me.
If you don't say YES, I'll go with my mom
So Meredith PLEASE,
CAN I TAKE YOU TO PROM?


Prom was fantastic and was followed by a moonlight dessert picnic along the river. The next morning, Cory picked me up bright and early and we headed back to Multinomah falls to hike to the top and have a picnic. Years later, Cory would admit that all his romantic gestures were not all of his own doing. He had a great friend who helped him through (thanks Ryan!). I don't mind that they weren't all his own ideas, I just loved that he cared so much and wanted to make so many moments so special.
The end of our senior year was quickly approaching. We had senior parties. Graduation. Graduation parties. And a trip with all our fantastic friends to Sun River. Life was great and I was so excited that we were both going to be going to Northern Arizona University in the fall...

9 comments:
Keep it coming...you're a great writer.
Awwww... what a nice blog on this rainy cold Pacific Northwest day - I love hearing your history and seeing you both so young and in love and then to look to the right of your last photo and see the family shot of you all walking - that is one beautiful, God-ordained relationship and I love that you have such an awesome mother-in-law... can't wait to hear how the college years went and the proposal... he certainly was a charmer!
Its funny, Cory and Jeremy look so much alike in highschool with that hair! and they were so (skinny) lean! Jeremy made me a homemade card out of construction paper every month for our first year of dating.
Awwww, I love it! What a romantic / sweet guy!
I'm loving the story, and the pictures, and Cory's hair. :-)
love these memories! love the pictures!! so fun! thanks for sharing. you are an amazing writer! love you!!
I know your story, but I love hearing it in this much detail! I didn't know about how he asked you to prom (Tripp will probably make fun of him for that poem!!) but it was soooo sweet!
Also, did Ryan date Nicci? Or did Chris? I never knew that!
loving the high school pics. What a treasure that you have those memories with your husband.
Look at you two, you are just babes!
Post a Comment