Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day, Pink Eye and Cards, Oh My!

I prepped my kids last night as I put them to bed. "Remember kids, it's Mother's Day tomorrow. Daddy has to leave early, but Mommy would still like to get some sleep. No coming in to whine. No playing games in my bed. When you wake up, you can go downstairs and watch cartoons until I wake up." All the kids understood. We gave kisses. Prayed. Said goodnight.

I lay in bed last night planning my Mother's Day. Cory was to be gone all day and I wanted to make it a fun day with the kids... I would wake up, make coffee, sit in my jammies until 9 or 10. We'd get dressed. Walk to the park. Walk downtown. Get some ice cream. I'd work in the yard. It was to be perfect.

Cory woke up at 5:45 this morning. So did I. I lay there until about 6:20 and decided to get up. Still excited for the fun day ahead... it was then that Ella came walking into my bathroom and announced that her eye was crusted shut this morning. After a quick inspection, I had a sinking suspicion that pink eye had made a very unwelcome visit. I guess my "perfect" day of fun was going to be looking a little different.

We went downstairs got some breakfast and I started a wonderful morning snuggle with Caden. He then asked if he could give me my Mother's Day present. The first thing he gave me was a note all folded up. On the outside it said,

from: Caden

Dear Mom, thank you for being nice! (the exclamation mark was actually shaped like a heart with a dot below it!)

Inside it said,

I love you Mommy!

Next, he gave me my card, inside he had drawn two pictures. One of him with our old cats on his shoulders and the other of him and I. I'm holding a flower and he's hugging me. As if that wasn't sweet enough already, the card also said,

My mom is nice. She makes me dinner. I love her. She lets me play with my friends. She makes my bed (sometimes he added). She fixes my lunch. She snuggles me. She is pretty. She is special. She makes me smile! :) (Yes, he ended it with a smiley face)

At this point, I had tears in my eyes. It was so amazing to hear just what it is my son loves about me. What he thinks about his Mom. It still makes me get teary.

Caden then handed me my present that was very carefully wrapped. He was sure to point out that on the wrapping paper was a bunch of hearts that he had drawn and inside the hearts it said, "I love you Mom!"

Inside the paper, was a trivet decorated with hearts and smiley faces. It also said, "you are the Best Mom ever". This boy has completely succeeded in making my day fabulous. I scooped him into my arms and gave his the biggest squeeze ever!

After my gifts, it was time to get dressed and head to the same day clinic at our Dr.'s office. And, of course, since it IS Mother's Day and since I WAS having to take my sweet miss to the Dr. I felt that it was only right to stop by Starbucks and treat myself to a little latte. MMmmmm. Perfection.

Thankfully, we were the first ones there and while we waited for the office to open I had a nice chat with another Mom who had shown up right after us. We both found it a bit funny that the first 2 people to show up on Mother's Day were Mom's... good times.

Ella did, in fact, end up having pink eye. We ran to Target and walked all the wonderful aisles while waiting for her meds. Truly. It was wonderful. I took my time. Smiled while I waited for my kids. Enjoying my time with just the little ones.

I'm now sitting here enjoying the quiet while Ella naps. Cole took the boys to the park and I'm about to head outside to do a little yard work. Although the day looks nothing like I thought it would, I sure am enjoying what I've been given. A blessing of a day with each of my kids. A little bit of quiet. And some gluten free chocolate chip cookies cooling on the rack just calling my name (thanks Heidi!).

Happy Mother's Day!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your perspective on life. After a day like that, I'd probably be grumpy and frustrated. I so admire how you see the world - especially mothering. You have a perspective I want. You find the enjoyment in everything - and you revel in it. I want to live that way. I admire you as a mom, and I wish I could be more like you. Glad to hear your mother's day turned out fabulous, and that you got to enjoy some yummy treats!!

meleea said...

you're a great mom Mere! glad you had a good day in spite of it not being what you had planned. hope Ella is better soon and that the pink does not make the rounds in your family!

Kelli said...

I had a few "bumps in the road" yesterday too (hubby had to work, my Mommy got sick, couldn't start the grill) but I didn't stay as faithful as you. You are an inspiration and a great mom. Happy Mother's Day.
I hope Ella gets well soon. How's the garden coming?

Dee said...

Awesome attitude!
Happy Mother's Day, Friend.

Lee Ann said...

Good grief Meredith! So glad you turned you day around....and got a few minutes of quiet time.

Beth E. said...

I love the way you kept your perspective, maintained a great attitude, and made your day a wonderful one! What could have easily been a yucky day you turned into a fun one! Pat yourself on the back for a job well done, girl!

Praying that no one else ends up with pink eye...that's one Mother's Day gift I know you do NOT want! LOL

Trish said...

You are one of my favorite moms!

Way to embrace the day, even though it was not what you had planned.

Miss you.

Megan said...

Bummer about the pink eye. =( What a sweetie Caden is! So glad that despite the sickies, you had a wonderful Mother's Day!