Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Perfection

Our weekend could be summed up in one word. Perfection. Plain and simple. Perfection.

It started with a last minute dinner with Cory's sister, brother-in-law and sweet sweet baby Jonas.

It continued with yard work and playing outside on Saturday.

Dinner with friends Saturday night.

A speed bump disguised as a cold Saturday night/Sunday morning that hit in a major way. We even got all dressed and headed to church and Home Depot... only to turn around and skip church. I was quite the bump on a log but enjoyed napping outside in the sun and loved watching my kids and neighbor kids play on the slip in slide in the backyard.

Back on track Monday morning when we packed up and headed out for a surprise destination. We love surprising our kids. LOVE. IT. Our kids? Yeah. Not so much. Our destination??

Multinomah Falls. It was beautiful!! The weather was fantastic. The attitudes were so so. We headed up the 1 mile trek to the top. Caden was a little fearful, but as long as we held his hand he was okay. Once we got to the top though... oh my. He was SO glad he made the journey. It was breath taking and the kids thought it was oh so cool (not to mention the banana slugs we saw along the way. Those things are HUGE!)

We ended our time at the falls with a picnic at the bottom and savored the gorgeous weather and amazing view. We had such a great time. We agreed this would not be done for another year. It was fun. It was tiring. Climbing a mile up while carrying a child much of the time? Yep. We'll see you again next year Multinomah Falls!

As we headed home, we decided to surprise our kids once again... but, I think I'll keep that one to myself for just a bit longer...

We pulled into the driveway around 3:30 and started chatting with our fantastic neighbors. This led to their backyard for some baseball, wine and weed pulling. Yep. Their yard is huge and we just kind of started weeding. Yep. We're sick like that. What seemed like 30 minutes later their yard was transformed and there were piles of weeds all waiting to be picked up.

Tired as can be, we headed home. Cereal for dinner and off to bed. The weekend could not have gone any better. We loved every second of our time together. We loved every moment in the sunshine. We laughed with family and friends. It was perfect.

Thank you Lord for such perfection here on earth. Thank you for such an amazing family. For wonderful friends. For sunshine and waterfalls. For weeds and wine. Thank you for our kids giggles, excitement and anticipation of what's to come.

15 comments:

Audrey said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend! By the way, I love that Brenton is making that sweet smile in nearly all the pictures of him. It's so cute!

Looking forward to hearing the surprise.

Trish said...

I LOVE the pictures!

What a fantastic weekend!

Kelli said...

What an amazing outing! The falls are just beautiful. Something you just don't see here in Ohio. I'm so happy to hear about your wonderful weekend and the family picture you took is adorable.

Amy said...

What's up with people and their secrets this morning? You and Trish are killing me! How's your voice? If it's better, give me a call!

annaliese said...

I agree with Amy--no more posting about surprises! just spit it out!!! :)

those are some gorgeous photos you captured! family and scenery. sounds wonderful :)

Dee said...

Oh I just feel terrible that I know this secret too!

Okay there is one secret I don't know about: Is there a new hicking club? Everyone's hiking these days. and haven't hiked for a while as a family, just because we have little ones. I'm looking forward to those family dates once Hunter get's a little bigger.

So glad you had a wonderful, wonderful, perfect weekend. We did too.

Hugs.

Tamara said...

I love how you find such sheer delight, beauty, and as you say, "perfection" in the simple pleasures of life and family and I love that you weeded your neighbor's yard as a family act of service!

Beth E. said...

I'm so glad you had such a great weekend. It all sounds wonderful...even the weeding part!

I've had cereal for supper, before. Quick, easy, and filling!

Eryn said...

fun ! I didn't hear about hiking...and I know your secret too! :) see you in the mornign!

jlchristblog said...

hey mere! it was so fun seeing you up there! we had a great time too! i can't imagine taking our girls up there yet, we need to work on the listening to mommy and daddy! you looked really relaxed and happy! iloveyou mere!

Rebecca said...

Awww, I remember when you took me to the falls like 10 years ago when I visited. I drove by them on one of my recent trips and had to stop again. So beautiful.

Megan said...

Sounds like quite the amazingly fun weekend! Those falls are GORGEOUS! I will get there some day. It's not like it's *that* far (4-6 hours or so from me, maybe?). LOL

Such great pictures, too! =)

Julie D. said...

beautiful! you guys are troopers!! what a great weekend!

Lee Ann said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend! So glad we could be a part :-) Thanks so much for the invite!

and what is this secret?.......

Lee Ann said...

Oh wait! I think I MAY know the secret! :-)....it just took me a minute.