Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanks and Giving

With Thanksgiving coming up, I can't help but think of all the things I am thankful for...

Miracles...

Chris. He is 100% cancer free. Only happens about 25% of the time. Only God.

Jonas. Born beautiful. Born healthy. A blessing to us all. Only God.

Blessings...

My husband

My 5 amazing children

My parents being in Spokane during my brother's storm

Amazing friends that might as well be family

Amazing family that are also friends

My husband having a job

Food on the table

A roof over my head

A nice, warm bed

God carrying me more times than I can count

God's whispers

God's hugs

There are so many more. Too many to list. God has been so good. God has been so faithful. Even if life weren't as calm right now, I know that I would be praising Him. I know that He would still be the same. His hugs. His whispers. Him carrying me. It would all still be there. My faith would still be there.

Cory and I were talking the other night. So thankful for where God has us right now. So thankful that he has a job. At the same time, praying for our friends. Friends who are struggling to make ends meet. Friends who are asking God to guide them. Friends who are waiting for answers. Friends who are unsure how long their houses will be their homes. Thankfully, that is not our path right now. Not that we are sitting pretty. Not that we have money coming out you know where. For now, however, we are okay.

Cory pointed out the best thing. Just because we are okay doesn't mean we can spend freely. What it does mean is that we can continue to tighten our belts. Pinch our pennies. And use the money God has blessed us with to help others. It may not be much. It may be a gift card for groceries. A meal. A Christmas box from church. It may not be much but God knows exactly what they need.

Two years ago we were humbled. Two years ago we got a call that the church had a food box for us. Two years ago, I told them that there must be someone who needed it more. Two years ago I told God that I would not turn down help. Two years ago I ran into our pastor at Target. He gave me a gift card and our food box. Two years ago I was on my way to the store. Stressing about my list. How on earth would we be able to afford this? Two years ago, I looked into the food box that we had just received and over half the items on my list were in that box. God knew. He knew what we needed. Those items were not haphazardly chosen. God knew. It was not insignificant. It was huge.

As we head into Thanksgiving and Christmas, my prayer is that we would all dig deeper. Look how God has blessed us. Ask where He wants us. Ask how we can help. And that we would all be obedient to where God has called us. We may think that it's nothing. That it truly can't make a difference. But, God knows. It can make a difference. He's awesome like that!

3 comments:

vikki said...

Thank you for sharing your heart. God is good. I am blessed to call you my friend. I love you!

Sheelagh said...

God is good. I agree that one of the things I am most thankful for is that we are able to give to other each month. We might feel strapped now and then, but some how we are able to squeeze out enough extra to give.
Thanks for sharing your story though it makes me wonder if we have even more to give. How much of these holiday extras do we really need.

Megan said...

Thank you for sharing. God answers prayer, doesn't he? (I just need to remember that for myself sometimes. Thanks for letting me remember.)