Friday, November 14, 2008

Doctor Fun

I ended up at the same day clinic yesterday at 7:52 am. I had woke up with some issues and had a 9:00 meeting so I needed to get in, get out and get moving. The kids woke up, we threw clothes on them, threw some food at them and loaded them in the car. I literally hit the ground running.

We were second in line. I was sure we would make it to my meeting. We sat and waited. They call the first person back... we're getting there! Then, Brenton poops. A poop that could not be ignored. He wreaked. Unfortunately, I had been too hopeful. I was sure we'd get in and out. I was sure I would not need to bring any diapers in. Nope. We weren't quick enough. What's a mom to do? Surely I couldn't take him back to the little room with that smell. It was making my eyes water. So, I asked the mom behind me if she could let the nurse know that we ran to the bathroom and off we went. I then did what any good mother would do. I took Brent to the bathroom, dumped the poop out of his diaper, scraped what I could off the diaper, and stuck it back on. Yep. I sure did. Poor kid. As I pulled up his pants, he looked at we with the most concerned look on his face and said, "poopy" as he touched his little bum. Sorry buddy. Mommy's in a hurry.

We get back to the waiting room and the other mom isn't there. I missed my turn! We're now 3rd in line. The nurse calls my name, checks me in, asks me some questions, checks my heart rate and blood pressure and sends me to the bathroom. There's a fun one. I've got to pee in a cup and did I mention I've got 3 of my kids with me? Yes, 3. A 5, 3 and 2 year old. Fun. They're all wondering just what I'm doing. Why do I need to pee in the little cup? What am I going to do with it? Is the nurse going to touch it? Good times.

We get back to the room and wait. And wait. I wish I could say that my sweet children just sat with me on the bench and waited quietly and patiently. I would be lying if I said that. The Dr's office is way too fun for that. There's water to drink out of fun paper cups. There's hopscotch on the floor (they use the tiles). There's rolling chairs. Exam tables to sit on. Literature on heart disease to read. Fun. Fun. Fun. The opportunities are endless.

The Dr. comes in sits down. Asks me why I'm there. Then goes over my stats... "Well, your heart rate is elevated..." You think? I arrived at 7:52, I've got a 9:00, it's now 8:40. I've been busy dumping poop, chasing kids and I'm at the Dr. All things that make my heart race. Thankfully, he saved himself. "However, you are here with 3 kids and that would make any one's heart race." Oh, thank you for not being a jerk. Thank you for understanding my pain. He must have kids.

5 comments:

Cass said...

Glad he understood, waiting forever is bad enough without a grumpy doc!! Hope your feeling better now!

Julie D. said...

i would have done the same thing with the poopy diaper! hope you got answers for YOU! crazy. life with kids is crazy!!

meleea said...

that sounds like a blast! the poopy diaper is pretty creative - i would have never thought to try that. hope you are doing better!

Amy said...

My heart is racing just after reading that post!

Rebecca said...

The poopy diaper happened to me last month at the pediatric urologist.
Thankfully the waiting room was crammed with other moms, so
I just called out pathetically, "Does anyone have an extra diaper?" and got, like, 5 offers.