Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Would You Rather

I was upstairs folding laundry yesterday when I heard a truck pull up out front. Then the doorbell rang. Must be a delivery... wait, it's Labor Day. There's no deliveries today. I go running downstairs and in the reflection of a mirror I see a big red firetruck. Starting to panic, I fling open the front door. Terrified that my kids have just run out in front of the firetruck. Terrified that something is wrong. Thankfully, to my surprise, there sits my kids up in the firetruck while Cory talks to the firemen. Big sigh of relief. I then race back inside to find my camera so that I can go outside and take pictures of my kids. The firemen must have thought I was half crazed out there... Sweats, no bra, greasy hair. I was quite a vision. Oh well, I'm sure they've seen worse. So, while Jackson, Ella and Brenton were all out front with their Dad, I thought, Caden's got to see this. He would love this. I race back into the house to find Caden and catch him just as he's going out to the backyard.

"Bug, there's a firetruck out front. You can go climb in it."

"I know, I already saw it. I want to be out back with the kitties"

"Seriously?"

Would you rather climb in a cool firetruck and talk to firefighters? Or would you rather pet the stray cats that seem to have adopted our neighborhood. Apparently I know what Caden would do.

These sweet cats have been around almost everyday for the last few weeks. When they first showed up we tried scaring them out of our yard just like any other cat. The difference? Instead of running away, they rubbed up against my leg. Wow. So, I took the poor thing to the front yard and told it to go home. I know, I know it's not a dog. But, what else do I do? Before I could even get in the front door, the little girl was jumping up onto the chair on our front porch. Apparently, she wasn't getting my hints. Needless to say, we now are really enjoying these little guys. There are 5 of them. My guess is that they are no ones. That they have been dumped. If I look out my back window, I can see them in any of 4 yards. They seem to get their loving where they can and from what I can hear, we all seem to be enjoying it. My kids have affectionately named them Zorro Jumbo, Parker, Girly, Slicer and unfortunately 2 remain nameless. They are the sweetest cats and if we were to sell our house today and be on our way to our dream farm I would take them in a heartbeat. But, since that's not happening, we'll continue to love on them in our backyard


One last thing about the cats. Kelli, you're going to love this. We glanced outside yesterday as 3 of the babies were laying in the chair. Two of them looked really happy, needing their paws, eyes closed. Happy. The other one looked calm as well. At first we thought the other 2 were cleaning good old Zorro Jumbo. I then realized that they were trying to nurse. Funny thing... Zorro Jumbo is very clearly a boy. There will be no milk coming out of him anytime soon. However, I guess as one of my favorite movies claims, "you can milk anything with..." Fun times.


Here's another one... Would you rather be home with only 3 of your kids. In your jammies at 5:30. Eating cereal for dinner. Watching a girl movie after putting 3 kids to bed. Or would you rather have all 5 kids and your husband home. Eating yummy enchiladas, salad and fresh cucumbers from the garden for dinner. Rushing to get the kids in bed by 8:00 so they can get plenty of sleep for school the next day? Both are enjoyed and cereal for dinner is great but I'll take my crazy full house any day. There's just a lot more laughter in a full house.

Cory and Caden went up to the Coug game this weekend with great friends. They had such a fun time and Caden really enjoyed his first time watching the Cougs. Cole was over in Spokane with his mom visiting Nana, Papa and Uncle Chris and Aunt Kristin. They all had a great time away, but we sure missed them! I'm so thankful to have them all home again.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Looks like you now are the proud owners of some cats! You love them and they are yours. Very cute.

Meredith said...

Val, bite your tongue!! They are not mine! Not cute!

Amy said...

I LOVE the last picture of Caden and Cory - that is the cutest - I mean most tough guy face I've seen!