Wednesday, September 17, 2008

On Strike


Not me. That would be bad. Not Cory. That would be worse. It's my son. My sweet 7 year old. The boy who at the age of 1 loved steak and shrimp. The boy who would choose brocolli over french fries when going out to eat. The boy who loves zucchini. The boy who used to eat whatever I put in front of him. The only thing he did not like? Tuna fish. I gave it to him when he was about 1 1/2. He was so sweet. He took the 1st bite, didn't complain a bit, but I could tell by the look on his face that he was miserable. I never made him take another bite of it.

On a Thursday in May, I made lunch for my kids. Peanut butter and jelly. The same peanut butter and jelly that I'd been making since Caden was 1. Now, I hadn't made peanut butter and jelly on a Thursday for a long time. You see, Caden had been in school every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 3 years at this point (2 years of preschool and kindergarten). And every time I sent him to school, I would make peanut butter and jelly. So, as I put the pb&j in front of him he threw a fit. Tears flowing. Red face. Fit. Wow.

"You've been eating peanut butter and jelly since you were 1. Why the fit?"

"I don't like peanut butter and jelly?"

"WHAT?? You eat it every day at school."

"No, I don't."

"What do you do with it?"

"Throw it in the garbage."

"SERIOUSLY???"

There are starving children in Ethiopia and my son is throwing his sandwich away. What in the world? So, all summer we were on a mission. What could we possibly put in Caden's lunch when school started again. Here's what he will no longer eat: cheese (unless melted in Lasagna or enchiladas or if on a cheeseburger from Cheeseburgerville - aka Burgerville), peanut butter and jelly, lunchmeat. The list continues to grow. Things he liked last week are now not appreciated. We've tried Hummus on crackers. Nuts. Attempted tuna again. Sandwiches with ham. I'm at my wits end.

Caden has started having quite an attitude. So much so, that this week, TV was taken away. We then realized that his attitude seemed to coincide with the fact that he has not been eating. Breakfast has also become a challenge. I would be crabby too if I wasn't eating. What gets me is that he has just gotten pickier and pickier. We've even gotten desperate enough to ask him what sounds good. NOTHING!!

What's a mom to do? Now that we've called him on his attitude he seems to be working on it, but he's still not eating much. Anyone have any suggestions as to what we could feed our sweet, used to eat anything and now will eat nothing, 7 year old?

5 comments:

meleea said...

you have just described my son!!! he who used to eat everything has gotten pickier and pickier over the years. now the only sandwich i send to school is a hoagie with pepperoni - dry! yuck!! but it is all he wants. he will also eat a dry bacon sandwich - hello?!? i can also send soup in a thermos - chicken noodle is good. It started about first grade and he is now starting to broaden his horizons to more regular foods.

i have to remind myself - he is not going to starve. i give him a good daily vitamin and an ensure drink here or there to make sure he is getting nutrients. praying for you!

Trish said...

Oh my.......we had this same situation last year!!

So I took Ben grocery shopping with me and told him to look for things that he wanted in his lunch. If he picked something healthy then we would go with it. If it was not so healthy we would discuss some better choices. Eventually we found enough things to rotate good lunches. He likes tortillas w/ laughing cow cheese and spinach rolled up. We also make our own lunchable type of lunches with sliced cheese, crackers and pepperoni. And a thermos of soup or Mac n cheese is a favorite.
I think at this age it is a good time to help them take ownership in their attitudes and that means teaching them to recognize that being hungry makes them very crabby and unenjoyable for others to be around.

And as hope for you.......
just recently I have started to notice great strides in Ben becoming a boy of great character. We have had a tought couple of years, but I am seeing the payoff in how he treats other people!!

I guess the most important thing is to help him take ownership or responsibility for his attitude.

You are a fabulous mom!!

Heidi said...

Payton's been on strike, food-wise, since he was born. When he was a toddler he's just hold a bite of unwanted food in his mouth...for hours. I've put him down for a nap, and he's woken up with the bite still in his mouth. Luckily, that phase has passed.
I started having him help make meals. If he could get out the ingredients he wanted on his sandwich, I knew he'd eat it. I also had him help shop for things he liked.
Another thought that came to me (and I could be wrong) is that maybe he is seeing what the other kids are bringing for lunch and his pb&j no longer has the heavenly halo it used to. Maybe you could ask him what other kids have in their lunch that he'd like to try. Maybe a friend always has tortillas and salsa or soup. Not that we parents should always give in to the influence of peers, but this may be one of the acceptable times. Just a thought.
The great thing about kids that are raised with love and the Lord's guidance is that they go through hard times, but they learn and grow from it and they come out of the phases with refined character. You truly are an amazing mom, and your kids are wonderful.
Heidi

Meredith said...

Thank you all for the suggestions!! I truly appreciate them! Heidi, I have wondered if his dislikes are coming from school... never thought to ask what the other kids are eating. Thanks for that thought. Sounds like Caden and I need to get to the store this weekend!

Eryn said...

You are a GREAT mom. Having been around your kiddos ALOT this week, they are so great! I love love love having them around. I love that today, Jackson went to the drawer and helped himself to a spoon! They are starting to feel at home here, and I LOVE it.