Monday, September 8, 2008

Because We Can

We did our annual Walk to Defeat ALS walk yesterday. This is a day I love and look forward to. It ranks up there with watching the fireworks on the 4th of July and Christmas. It is something we do as an entire family and I love it. We aren't the biggest fund raisers. In fact, the only money we raise is the money we pay. But, it's not so much about the fund raising for us. It's about remembering Cory's Mom, his Grandpa and his Aunt. It's about our children and letting them know who these amazing people were. I never got to meet Cory's Grandpa, but I hear he was a great man. Cory's Aunt was so kind hearted. She loved her nieces and nephews so very much. And Cory's Mom, she was amazing. She was an incredible mom, wife and friend to so many. She would have been such a great Nana. I love this walk because even though the kids start whining a quarter of the way through, we're doing it as a family. I love watching the other families walking and wonder what their story is. Before the walk, we were sitting next to another family. I noticed that the sticker on their back said "I'm walking for Daddy". There were 4 kids in this family. One in a stroller that looked to be about 2 1/2 and the oldest was probably in middle school. Dad looked to be in his late 30's and was already having a hard time walking. I saw the Mom's sticker... "I'm walking for my husband" It really hit home. These diseases can strike anyone at any time. I just wanted to hug her. I know, I know, me and my hugging.


Then there was another group. All wearing red shirts. I'm not great with numbers, but there looked to be at least 50 of them. They were all walking for Toby. From what I understand Toby is a deputy who was diagnosed with ALS in July. He has 2 young children. I was walking behind Toby at one point. He was flanked on either side by either friends or family. His hands were on their shoulders. He was working hard to walk the 5 laps around Esther Short Park. He was walking because he still can. As he crossed the finish line, all who were there clapped for him. It was pretty amazing. ALS is a disease that atrophies your muscles. So, for those with ALS, they eventually lose the ability to walk. So, I loved that on the shirts and stickers it says, "I'm walking for .... Because I can!" Because truly, WE CAN!
After the walk we had lunch at Burgerville. This is also one of my favorite things about the walk. We always end up getting to eat out after the walk and our family loves Burgerville. When we pulled into the parking lot, our kids were ecstatic. I think I even heard a "you rock!" from the backseat. What a great way to end the day... So glad that we "rock"!



7 comments:

meleea said...

love that!!! what a great thing to do as a family! pam would have loved that you do this in her memory and she would have been an amazing nana - i like to think she is a nana to mine in heaven - she said she would be!
burgerville is the best and you guys do rock for taking them there!

Eryn said...

OK, I'm crying. You and your hugging, and me and my crying.

Pam was so incredible, and I think about her all the time, especially when I look at Trac. We would love to join you guys on the walk sometime...

Love you guys! E

Julie D. said...

what a great day, meredith! I was thinking those same things about my sister-in-laws triathalon, other races, and fundraising walks...we walk, run, roll, whatever we can do...BECAUSE WE CAN! My mom works with people who are disabled. I learned very young that every day is a gift... Praise the Lord! So many people, 'just can't'. Let's use our bodies for His glory because "WE CAN"!

Trish said...

I had no idea there was an ALS walk here..........we lost a very dear friend last summer to ALS. It was tough. I would walk with you guys in honor of her.

I love that you guys do that as a family!

Your mother in law was an amazing lady! she would be so proud of all that you and Cory do to show love to everyone around you.

Shannon said...

nose is stuffy, eyes are watery...heart is filled!

Pam was amazing...she is soooo missed by sooo many!

hey, will you let us all know about it next year. I'd be interested in doing that walk.

Lee Ann said...

What a great thing to do as a family. ALS SUCKS!!!! It's a great thing to just raise awareness, even if you're not raising money. The big wigs will do that when there's enough awareness made. Glad you had a good time....and that you rock!

Mara said...

Meredith....that was so touching! Your family is so special! With or without burgerville...you rock!