Wednesday, June 30, 2010

10 Minutes

10 minutes is all it took.

10 minutes to go from this...


To Ella running in the house yelling,

"Jackson's running away FOREVER!!!!!"

I calmly assessed the situation and discovered that Jackson was worried he would get in trouble for breaking Ella's princess car.

Wow.

Who knew I was that scary!

I could see Jack walking down the driveway. Snack in hand. I asked where he was going...

No answer.

I told him he'd be missed.

No answer.

I told him he'd miss out on the banana bread that was being made.

No answer.

Changing tactics.

I did what any loving mother would do...

"Well, if you're running away forever, don't you think you should pack a bag with some clothes in it?? And what about food? What are you going to eat?? And what about money? You should really come pack a bag."

Knowing he's not going far.

Then, next thing I know, Brenton is running in the house...

"What's wrong?"

"Jackson passed the white fence!!!!"

I again went outside and tried to talk him into coming home...

"We'll miss you."

"Can't you hear your brother screaming?"

"He doesn't want you to run away forever."

"Please come home!"

Now, in the house, I can hear Caden crying.

I then headed back in the house since I could see Jack coming back up the drive.

Asking why Caden is now crying...

"Because, I'll miss Jackson!!!"

Our first attempted runaway and I'm so thankful to not only have him back home safe and sound, but also so thankful that my kids would miss each other that much.

They actually DO love each other!

5 comments:

Lee Ann said...

So funny Mere! I think you handled it great! I haven't had that experience - yet. Last time I was "home" my mom showed me a note I wrote when I was 9 and running away :)

When I got older she always said, "If you need to leave, I'd rather you tell me and I'll find a safe place for you instead of sleeping on the side of the road." :)

Here's to motherhood!!!

Kelli said...

You have such patience and grace. That is so sweet that they truly do love one another that way...I'm sure it's due to the example your setting.

Tamara said...

The reason we blog, right? To capture the moments of life and motherhood. Great post - love the pictures and also the visual images you create with your words... OH, and I love LeeAnn's comment too - how great that her mom saved a note from when she was 9! Loved her mom's response too.. the part where she says, "If you NEED to leave..." hahaha!

Eryn said...

so great! Your kiddos are the sweetest!

Amy said...

I can totally picture this whole scene playing out, down to the calm tone in your voice! Oh Jack Jack! Love that kid!