Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rules and Regrets

Cole and I were in the kitchen yesterday. I have NO clue what we were talking about or how this came up, but he said,

"you know I won't have sex until I'm married."

"I really hope so, Bud."

"Don't worry, I respect your rules."

"Oh honey, it's really not about our rules..."

I then went on to explain that saving yourself for your spouse is the best gift you can give them. That it's the best gift from God. That I know so many people who did not wait until marriage and they still have scars.

For some reason, I'M always the one who gets to fall upon these conversations. For some reason, they have YET to fall into Cory's lap. There's a part of me that says, "this is weird. Shouldn't Cory be the one having these conversations with our son? But, I wouldn't trade these conversations for the world. I'm so thankful that he feels he can talk to me about these things. I pray that he continues...

Minutes later, he asked me what I would change if I could. Did I have regrets? I very easily was able to name a few...

I wish that Cory and I had stayed at our reception longer. We were only there for a couple of hours.

I wish that I had not had boyfriends in middle school. Too much drama.

I wish that I had not wanted to have boyfriends in high school. This resulted in many crushes that were not reciprocated and led to many a broken heart.

I can't really take the last one out entirely though because Cory and I started dating our junior year and well, I wouldn't change that!

I wish that I hadn't been so stressed about grades in college. A's were truly not that important, but for some reason, I sure thought they were. I feel like I missed out on way too much.

When I told him that we weren't at our reception very long, he asked why. My response? We couldn't wait to get out of there. We'd waited for so long that we felt we just could not wait any longer. In hindsight, I wish we would have spent more time soaking up time with all our friends and family that came to celebrate with us. We had our whole lives to enjoy what we'd been waiting for...

When I shared about college, I felt like it was a great time to talk about balance. He has a hard time applying himself in school. It seems simple to us. If he would just turn his assignments in, all would be A-okay. Me caring WAY too much and him caring WAY too little are very similar. It's important to care, just not too much. It's important to have some fun, just not too much. It's all about balance.

I get a smile on my face when I think about our conversations yesterday. Again, so VERY thankful for him. For the chance to talk about some good stuff. Thankful that he wanted to talk about these things with me. I pray he continues to open up to us. I pray that our lines of communication will always be open. I pray that God would guide us in our conversations. I pray that our children truly do save themselves so they can have God's best. Because really, it is so fantastic!!

10 comments:

Tamara said...

Great reminder Meredith - just know that I am learning through you -- for when my son comes into my life on a bigger level... thanks for being you!

Lee Ann said...

What special conversations. So glad you can be so real with him. I recently had a great conversation (while in the car) with my mom and aunt. I brought up some regrets I have, things that still come up and wound me, there was something really freeing about just talking about them. And of course, if someone younger learns from just one of them...that's all the better.

Beth E. said...

Meredith,
I think it is wonderful that Cole feels so comfortable to discuss everything with you! I cannot picture our boys having the same type of conversation with us when they were that age!

When hubby Bill tried to talk about the facts of life with our oldest boy (he was 11 at the time), he asked, "Can't I just read a book about this? If I don't understand something, I'll ask." LOL

You're doing a great job!

Eryn said...

so great...love that he talks to you about this stuff! I hope my boys do the same...

Amy said...

That makes my heart feel full. Cole is just thriving because you are his parents. So awesome...

Danyele Easterhaus said...

mere, you rock my face off, girl. you rock my face off! now, if your boy could just marry one of my girlies, it would be great...can we set that up??

Kelli said...

That is just wonderful that Cole (and I'm sure your other children) are comfortable to talk to you about everything. What a great mom you are and what a nice response and conversation.
Happy Mother's Day!!!

Anonymous said...

I love those conversations! Payton and I have them often - since he's my question asker. Said the other day that someone on the bus taught him the "B" word. Then asked what it meant, why it's wrong, and why people say it. He new as he was asking (before I even said it) that it was not a nice word. It was a great conversation - though I never want to hear that word come out of my 5 year old's mouth again. He also asked me why people believe they can living mulitple lives (reincarnation) and what Satan's home is like.
What freedom and safety Cole must feel with you to talk openly about those things. I bet he just knows that you will love him and seek the best for him no matter what. Unconditional love has it's ways of building foundations of trust and safety. And you are phenomenal at loving unconditionally.

Julie D. said...

what cool talks. I too, hope my boys will talk to me like that. way to go, mom!

Megan said...

That's great that he feels he can come to you and talk about 'whatever'. And that you're comfortable talking to him about 'taboo' subjects. It seems as though he really, truly respects and loves you and that's awesome!