and other tales of a wife, mom, daughter and friend constantly being molded and stretched by God
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Fresh
Who doesn't love fresh eggs??
There's just something about walking out to the chickens in the morning, noon, or whenever the mood strikes me, and checking for eggs.
There's just something about finding 6 eggs in the boxes in one trip.
There's just something about pulling a still warm egg from the box.
Or even taking one out from under the poor girl who just wants to sit on it for awhile.
24 Hens. 2 Roosters. Such bliss.
Until they get sneaky. The little twits :)


I heard a few singing their egg song last week and walked out to the coop. Lo and behold, one of the girls was NOT in the coop. She was in the blackberry bushes. Singing away. Oh, and for those that don't have chickens, the egg song is what they "sing" when they are laying. It's sounds JUST like the cadbury bunny.
I walked carefully through the bushes and there she was. The little sneak. Sitting on TWO eggs and working on a 3rd!! I grabbed the two and waited for number 3. She was NOT happy with me!
Since then, we have not found anymore in the bushes, but I still check everyday. We had 11 eggs yesterday and have already gotten 6 today... 1 of which is the biggest egg I have EVER seen! Poor girl!
Thankful for the chance to raise these girls. Thankful for fresh eggs. Thankful for some yummy chicken...
We'll be down a roo soon. He went after Caden last week and I'm not one to tolerate bullies. So, after some friends borrow him to breed to their hens, we'll get to see what tasty home grown chicken tastes like. He sure looks like he'll taste good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
At least you get to look! I only "get to" look before 7 am. After that, Anna checks nearly every 15 minutes. All.day.long. It is SOOOO fun though. Everyone should have chickens :) Oh, and who's going to do the roo in?
Here is my city-raised dumb question...so you just eat them like that? Is there anything else you have to do?
Meredith - you crack me up - one sentence you're thankful you are "getting to raise these girls" and the next sentence you are scopin' the dude for his dinner potential... something a little warped there, but I'm all about God's provision of food and man being in control of the animal population and the Mama Bear instinct that comes out when something or someone "attacks" our child, yeah, that chicken would be in the pot in a heartbeat! Glad that you are loving the chicken raising farm girl life!
Tamara, the girls at least provide me some therapy and some eggs. Roo, while beautiful, gives me neither! He has a great crow and he generally takes good care of the girls, but, I don't think they'll miss him and his courting rituals... or lack of it!
Ahh, good-bye Roo! Save me a drumstick! Just freeze it for me until October!
Poor Roo; have you told him what is in store?
yummy yummy! Chicken and eggs. MMMMM. I want some!!
This is how my colleague Wesley Virgin's report begins in this SHOCKING and controversial video.
You see, Wesley was in the military-and soon after leaving-he revealed hidden, "SELF MIND CONTROL" tactics that the government and others used to get anything they want.
As it turns out, these are the same secrets many famous people (notably those who "come out of nothing") and the greatest business people used to become rich and successful.
You've heard that you only use 10% of your brain.
Really, that's because the majority of your brainpower is UNCONSCIOUS.
Maybe that expression has even occurred INSIDE OF YOUR very own head... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's head about 7 years ago, while driving an unlicensed, beat-up garbage bucket of a vehicle without a license and with $3 on his bank card.
"I'm absolutely fed up with going through life check to check! When will I get my big break?"
You've taken part in those conversations, ain't it right?
Your own success story is going to start. Go and take a leap of faith in YOURSELF.
UNLOCK YOUR SECRET BRAINPOWER
Post a Comment