I no longer pray for patience.
I haven't for years.
Whenever I prayed for patience. Challenging situations would come at me from every direction.
Nope.
I never pray for patience.
I do, however, pray that God would fill me with HIS patience. That HE would get me through.
Truly. This is SO much better.
Because, truly, He DOES carry me through...
Through bath time...
Through fighting and whining...
Through arguments and clean up time...
Through loss...
Through tears and frustration.
So, when I desired quiet this morning,
And my hormones were raging and the only words that were coming out of my kids mouth came with a whiny voice...
And I was so VERY tired,
And I just wanted quiet.
With a frown on my face.
With my coffee in my hand.
Not wanting to talk.
Not even making my normal phone calls to friends on the way to school.
Just wanting quiet.
My kids decided they just wanted to ask 50 questions...
How did Jesus walk on water?
When's the birthday party?
Whyyyyyyyyy can't we go to the bagel store (aka Winco) right noooowwwwww??
Sadly.
I tuned many out.
Answering quickly and with as few words as possible.
Feeling like I missed a moment.
And realizing.
Just as I never ask for patience,
I should NEVER ask for quiet either.
Instead, I should ask for a better attitude!
4 comments:
I can certainly relate to your desire for quiet... good point though! At least the kids were asking questions and not hitting each other, calling names or yelling at one another for singing too loudly or just for breathing... sometimes car rides are the deepest joy for those mommy moments with the kids and other times they are the toughest challenge of the day and they push you to your limit and make you feel like you are going to lose it...
Oh, so true! Sorry we missed our coffee date this week. The flu stinks. :(
Amen to that!
Thank you! You always have something to teach me! Thank you for these words and this advice that I am sure you were not meaning to be advice, but is. It's very, very thoughtful, thought provoking, and educational for a mom with half of the kids you've got and half of the patience you have as well. You are always an example to me and I thank you.
Post a Comment