Friday, December 4, 2009

All Grown Up

Happy birthday my sweet Cole. And perhaps, you're not all grown up, but you are definitely getting closer. I was looking through pictures earlier this week and was blown away at how much you have grown in the last 2 years.

First day of school 2007

You have grown physically.

You have grown spiritually.

You have grown emotionally.

You have grown socially.

You are growing into a fine young man.

14.

Holy cow.

Cole, I am so proud of you. I am so proud to call you son. I am so thankful to call you son. You are a blessing from above.

This year we officially became your parents and thank the Lord everyday that you are here to stay.

I simply cannot imagine life any other way. You have completed our family. You have filled the void. You are a wonderful treasure.

We've had fun playing in the snow this year...

And playing in the sun...

But of all the fun, my favorite is to just watch you as you play and teach your brothers and sister. You are so good to them... well, most of the time. And they so look up to you. You, my son, are their cool big brother. And I guarantee that they want to be just like you!

I came across 2 pictures that show your heart. And although you cannot stand one of them, I'll tell you what I love most about it...

When we were in Coeur d'Alene this year and Dad and Aunt Kristin took you all on a hike you carried Ella when she was too tired to go on. Her face shows complete exhaustion. And there you are. Her brother. Carrying her. Taking care of her. Loving her.

Dad thought he was being funny by trying to get a picture of you holding Ella's pony. While we could all laugh at that, I LOVE that you were holding Ella's pony. Not because of the obvious, but because, there you were, again, helping her.

I know they frustrate you often. They are loud. They are whiny. They get in your space way too much. I also know that they love you. Look up to you. And think you're the coolest thing since sliced bread.

And I know that you love them too. In the way that you are quick to step in when they need help. When they want carried. When they are tired. You are there.

Your heart is beautiful and I pray that as you continue to grow that you would continue to look to God and what he desires for you. I pray that you would continue walking in His ways. That you would continue to make good choices. That you would always know that you are loved more than you could ever imagine!

Happy Happy Birthday My Son!!

7 comments:

Tamara said...

A precious post - I love your heart for Cole - what a blessing he is and truly, how great that his heart is for the Lord and that he shows Christ's love to his family - he sounds like an amazing 14 year old - he has definitely grown up in 2 years - handsome guy!

Kelli said...

What a sweet post, what a sweet young man. I'm so glad God brought him into your life. Enjoy!

Kel said...

Good night Mer!..I'm going to turn your blog into a book for me to read when I forget to appreciate the wonderful things of those in my life...you are such an inspiration to family...to friendships...to life...thank you! And Happy Birthday Cole!!! I remember when you were in my 3-5 year olds class way back at Mt. View HS...oh how you have grown!!!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

happy bday big guy...and congrats on such a great dude. thoughtful, smart and handsome...good parenting!

Trish said...

Happy birthday Cole!!

I love the way you love that boy.

Amy said...

Happy Birthday, Cole! You make me wish I had a teenage son for my kids to look up to :-)

Amy said...

I just found your blog through Ms. Kelli...I read a few of your posts and was so encouraged! It was so random to fly by your blog...but we've got many similarities...our oldest is cole...Our daughter is Peyton Ella...our youngest just turned 3....We're NW...we just cut our tree down...and we're followers of the Lord!!

weird! so fun to stumble upon your blog! I loved reading your thoughts! I will be back...
Amy~