Thursday, July 2, 2009

Tired. Done. Broken.

I've been so tired lately. Tired of trying to figure out the best way to raise my children. Tired of fighting with my husband. Tired of praying and having to be okay with the outcome. Tired.

Last week the phone rang. It was my mom. One of my brother's lymph nodes had grown a bit, but as my brother said they weren't that concerned since it was still under 1 cm. What did have them a little concerned was that one of his blood counts were up. Instead of in the normal range which is around 3, his was 33. Truly, I was a little concerned, but knew that it just had to be nothing. And if it wasn't nothing, it was early and all would be well.

We've prayed for my brother all week. All week.

Then, the phone rang yesterday. It was my mom. I was already having a crummy day and almost didn't pick up. But, I did. There were those words. I couldn't understand. Her words made no sense. I made her repeat herself. And then, my stomach turned.

I had to call Cory. Surely, he could make sense of it all. Gasping for air I told him the news. He came straight home to hold me. To comfort me.

I. Don't. Understand.

My brother.

There has to be a mistake.

I talked to my brother yesterday and he too is trying to make sense of it all. He said that his Dr.'s medical opinion is that his cancer is incurable because it seems to have survived through his intense chemo and radiation last fall. Incurable because it is back and is moving quite aggressively. Currently, it is not in any of his organs, but is in lymph nodes throughout his body. His Dr. recommended getting a second opinion. They are going to try and see if they can see a Dr. at a big cancer research center in Seattle in the next week.

How can this be?

My brother.

Quite frankly. I'm done. Done. Really, I'm not okay with anything less than a miracle. I'm not. I hesitate even saying those words. I can hear the gasps. I don't care.

I don't care that Heaven is so much better than here. The point is that it's not here. It's not here with his wonderful wife. It's not here with his children. It's not here with his Mom and Dad. It's not here with his sisters.

After last weeks news I was talking to my brother. I said that cancer sucks. He told me it didn't. That it builds character.

What good is character if you're not here to show your boys how to be men. What's the point??

I find myself gasping. Trying to find air. Knowing it's there somewhere.

I don't understand.

I'm praying for a miracle. Praying that Chris's Dr. was wrong. Praying he had no clue what he was talking about. Praying that he would be healed here on earth. Praying for Kristin. Praying for Connor, Brooklynn and Kyle. Praying.

17 comments:

Cass said...

I have no words Mere. None that would help. None that would bring great comfort. I wish I did. Just know you are being prayed over, you & your whole family! Love you!!!!

Audrey said...

My heart is breaking for you right now, Mere. Praying hard for your family.

Eryn said...

Oh, Friend. Your feelings are so valid...Cancer does suck. I wish I had some amazing words to take away your pain.

You are loved...your family is loved and prayed for. Praying your find your air today...go to Jesus. Love you...Eryn

Liz Harlow said...

You have every right to be done. To not understand. To be gasping for air. So many are praying for Chris, Kristin, and their kids. We are praying for your entire family. You have every right to ask for a miracle. A miracle here on Earth. I undertand Mere. I am so very sorry. Love you!

Beth E. said...

I'm praying, too, Meredith.

Love,
Beth

Megan said...

Oh Meredith!! I'm SOOOO sorry!! I'm sending tons of prayers your families way!! ((((HUGS))))

Sassy said...

Meredith, at first I wasn't even going to comment. I really have no words to "make it better." Your thoughts are ALL valid, and honestly expected. I felt the same way when they told us our daughter wouldn't survive. I know. I know what it's like to be gasping for air and not find it anywhere. I know what it's like to feel that you can barely keep your head above water and feel like your drowning. I know what it's like to be DONE! I even know what it's like to be so angry at God I was left speechless. I know. I also KNOW that God can and does create miracles! All the time! I will be praying for a miracle for your brother. I will also pray for faith, peace, and wisdom for everyone in your family and all who is close to your brother.

With love,
Sassy

Dee said...

Cancer really SUCKS! I wish we could just kiss cancer goodbye!

My heart aches for you friend. Give all to God, sock it to Him, He can handle it!

Kristi R said...

Mere, I had no gasps at all when I read what you wrote - all of your feelings are absolutely understandable. Thank you for being honest about how you feel. I'm feeling the same way - he needs a miracle. Cancer does suck, Chris does have amazing character, and he does need to be here to be with his family - with all of you. The Lord can handle all of this and he can cure Chris and we are definitely praying and pleading with the Lord that He would completely heal him. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this........yet again. Please know that I am right with you having sleepless nights, praying for him (I didn't sleep last night at all - when I did sleep I dreamed that everyone I knew had cancer). You are not alone in this battle. I love you and your whole wonderful family!

Amy said...

We're praying too, my friend.

Lee Ann said...

You have been on my heart and in my prayers ALL.DAY.LONG. I just keep saying, "how much Lord? How much can she take?" And that was before reading this post. I keep thinking of your brother, his wife and children. With every thought, I have to remind myself that God loves those people more than we ever could. And no, I didn't gasp at all. I would not be ok with anything less than a miracle either.

Praying HARD friend!

Kel said...

gasping and praying with you Mer. Overwhelmed by the news, overwhelmed for you and what you must be facing and feeling. Wishing I could carry some of this burden for you. Something to lighten your heavy heart. Anything.
Yet these words and prayers are all I have to offer you.
I love you. You are a child of God and have not been forgotten or forsaken by your Father even though at times it may feel that way.

Ally said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Praying for a miracle.

Julie D. said...

oh my word, mere. i'm so sorry. praying so hard for you and your family. I HATE cancer.

Bitter Sweet Moments said...

I am praying for you and your family. My sister was diagnosed with cancer Thanksgiving of last year. God is a big God...he's able to preform that miracle your expecting!! Praying for it daily with you!!
Chrissy

Danyele Easterhaus said...

clinging to the hope that only can come from jesus...and knowing that in all things good comes, even when we don't get it always. mere, i'm soooo praying for you!

Trish said...

Mere, I wish I were there, if only to hug you. I so wish I could wrap you up right now, envelope you and protect you.
It's truly okay to be mad. God can handle it.

I love you. I love your honesty and I will be praying.