Monday, August 25, 2008

Everyone's Hero

My brother is an amazing man... actually, to say he's amazing doesn't quite cover it. He's my older brother and he has always seemed to do just what an older brother should do... not what they should not.



In the 7th grade he taught me to hit "like a boy". This lesson came along with a "take it like a man" lesson as well where he taught me to laugh instead of cry if the punches in the arm hurt. These skills came in handy on long bus rides as we played the game in the back of the bus to see who could go the longest getting hit in the leg. I know, I know, I probably shouldn't have been taught to "take it like a man" I am a girl afterall, but it sure was fun to outlast the boys!


In high school, he always watched over me and made sure that the boys I liked were boys that should be liked. I honestly do not remember ever fighting with him. He was and has always been one of my best friends. I pray that my children will be as close to each other as my brother is to me. My husband loves him, my children adore him... could I ask for more? Watching him with his family makes me smile. He is such a wonderful husband and father.


My brother was recently diagnosed with stage 3 stomach cancer. When he found out he had cancer he told me that this was their chance... Their chance to shine as a light and show the world who God is. He is determined to fight this and even though the chemo is already taking it's toll, he continues to still get out and "smell the roses". He was feeling pretty bad Saturday morning but after a good nap, he joined us at the lake and was sure that all who were there were taken down. None were left dry.


One of my favorite things is my brother's hugs. For those that know me, they know I'm a hugger. I love to hug. It's my way of saying "I love you". "I care about you". My brother gives the best hugs. He is tall and his shoulders are broad and when he hugs me I feel like a little girl again wrapped in her brother's protective arms.


My kids love the movie "Everyone's Hero". The message in the movie is to "just keep swinging"... to never give up. My brother is my hero. He continues to stay positive and "just keeps swinging". I am so proud of him and so very very thankful that God chose him to be my brother.


While we were visiting this last weekend my brother had a head shaving party. He wanted to shave his head before the chemo made his hair fall out. A few of his close friends came over and almost all the boys there got their heads shaved. I must say that they all looked pretty good too!! Jackson wanted Daddy to cut his hair so when we got home yesterday Cory went ahead and cut Jackson and Brenton's hair too. All the boys in my family are now bald and as handsome as ever. They all wanted to show their love for uncle Chris.


WE LOVE YOU UNCLE CHRIS!!!



6 comments:

Julie D. said...

mere! so glad you are blogging! what a great post. praying for your brother and your family!!

Trish said...

Hey, I LOVE YOUR HUGS!!!

Okay, I'm crying.

How amazing to have that relationship with your brother!

I will continue to pray for him and the family.

May I link you on my blog??

Meredith said...

Sure can... only if I can hug you!

Eryn said...

The fam is lookin' darn good with those shaved heads! Glad you had a special time with your family...I missed you!

Rebecca said...

I am praying for you guys and for Chris. I love the solidarity all your boys showed by shaving their heads.

I'll be in Portland 9/8 and 9/9 (alone this time, no kids). Once I know my schedule I'll let you know and maybe I can swing by.

Amy said...

Okay, I already knew all that about Chris, but I still cried after reading what you had to say about him. I pray that my boys have that same relationship with their sister that you and Chris have.

Love you and can't wait to see you soon and get one of your famous hugs!